lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
yamaman
Not Yet Wild

Default 1980 g1/a1

hello all, just purchased a g1/a1 that i plan to restore. have never worked on a golf cart before but i like to tinker around. did a compression test and found none so i have ordered a jug and piston. the guy i bought it from recently had the starter/generator rebuilt, so that's good. my problem is that it won't start in reverse. i can hear the solenoids throwing when i press on the pedal but the generator will not turn. (it works fine in the forward position). if i reverse the a1 and a2 leads at the solenoid then the generator will reverse but that doesn't fix the problem. mine has a blue wire going to what i think is the reverse solenoid and a yellow wire going to the forward solenoid. if i check the plug for these wires with an ohm meter it appears that the forward /reverse switch on the dash is working. not sure what to do from here. any help would be appreciated.
yamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

Default Re: 1980 g1/a1

do you mean your comp. is low? because no comp.= it won't start in forward or rev.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
yamaman
Not Yet Wild

it didn't have any compression, thats why i ordered a new cylinder & piston kit. with the generator belt off, it will turn forward but not in reverse. i talked to a frriend that told me it was probably the solenoid. you can still hear the solenoid click when you try it in reverse but he says it may not be making good contact. anyone ever rebuilt one of these solenoids?
yamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
PNUEGUY
Not Yet Wild

Hello i am in the same boat you were with a g1/a1 that will not run in one direction even though the solinoid clicks. just wanted to know what your fix was.thanks in advance.
PNUEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Check your grounds first. These carts are known for ground issues. Also check the connections of every wire. A loose connection makes corrosion and that equals problems.

The solenoids aren't difficult to rebuild. I've never done a G1 solenoid but they aren't much different that the old starter solenoids on some vehicles I've done before.

I would invest in a repair/service manual for sure.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
check your grounds first. These carts are known for ground issues. Also check the connections of every wire. A loose connection makes corrosion and that equals problems.

The solenoids aren't difficult to rebuild. I've never done a g1 solenoid but they aren't much different that the old starter solenoids on some vehicles i've done before.

I would invest in a repair/service manual for sure.
ive had the same problem on my 81g1, twice, i took all the wires off the solenoids and really cleaned them up and the starter, it doesnt take that much dirt , corr, to not make contact, i take them off about once a month and clean them, runs great, good luck.
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah I've had several vehicle with starting/charging problems and 90% of the time it's a broken wire, corroded connection, or loose connection. Sometimes the battery can be low enough that it will act funny too. Also check the charge on the battery, give it a good ole trickle charge.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Jakesbackyard
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The G1 I fixed up last winter had a similar problem - only started in reverse. Took the forward solenoid completely apart, cleaned all contacts, replaced one stud bolt that was almost corroded off, put back together, and it has worked great ever since. Give it a try.
Jakesbackyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
PNUEGUY
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all, will check grounds and loose,corroded connections.
PNUEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha