lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon Steering Wheel Play

1983 Marathon Resistor Cart. My steering wheel has a few inches of play where I can move the wheel and the tires don't move. Upon inspection, all of my tie rod ends, ball joints, etc look pretty bad. I tracked down the play to three main areas, but I'm not sure what is normal and what can be fixed by replacing parts. I'd like to narrow it down to the right part(s) instead of just replacing everything. Recommended parts and priority would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

I removed the steering wheel column to gain access to the steering assembly. There is definite play between the intermediate gear and the steering rack. I can hear metal on metal impact when changing direction of the gear. I don't see any missing teeth on the gear or the rack. Can teeth wear down enough to cause play? Which one should be replaced... or both?

I've read that the ball joint at the end of the steering rack is a definite replacement to improve steering and mine looks to have fluid/grease leaking out. Giving this part a good pull I can tell there is play, but it may be due to the rack itself. Replace?

I gave a couple tugs on the idler arm on the top and bottom. I can hear metal on metal impacting at both spots. Is there a bushing or somthing that centers this part and keeps it tight?
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon Steering Wheel Play

While researching this issue I found the www.golfcartcatalog.com website. BGW has some pretty positive feedback about them. Their website is very informative on common steering issues and the parts needed to solve the problem. I'm planning on ordering the parts below:

Steering Rack and Ball Joint
Reduction Gear
Idle Arm Bushings

Are there any last minute checks I can do to narrow down the steering play? Any other parts that will help tighten it up? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Bought the parts and installed them. Steering play is reduced significantly.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of "tightening" up the steering on my 1983 EZGO.
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Chaser View Post
Thanks for the info. I am in the process of "tightening" up the steering on my 1983 EZGO.
Be sure to hold on to all of the "wavy" washers you see. There are two in the steering rack that run like $3 each and a bigger on that goes over the idle arm that they don't make anymore.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
rbkoeberlein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a '92 Marathon with the same wheel play. My brother and I took a long look at teh steering...

The holes the tie rods connect to on the idler arm are too big for the shaft of the tie rod.

We plan on creating a steel sleeve that fits in there.

I will let you know what happens. I will pass along the measurements if they can not be bought.
rbkoeberlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had play in my old 85 cart before I got rid of it. I started looking and realized I had not greased all the fittings in a while. Greased them all up and lost about half the play... Sometimes a little grease will work wonders!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
Rohder Marathon
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for info
Rohder Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO