lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Hauling with carrier behind RV?

I have a 40ft 5th wheel camper that I would like to build a rack to haul my cart. Does anyone else have experience with this? My RV has two receivers and they are spread out about the width of camper. Blue Ox makes one (see link) I was just wondering how squirly things would get back there

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/zoo...eOx/SC2100.jpg

Thanks, David

Last edited by langstonjones; 02-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: forgot link
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Hauling with carrier behind RV?

Just realized that I posted in the Club Car electric forum. Maybe I should have posted to the whole forum instead. I just have this particular one bookmarked as that is what I have.
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

are you planning on pulling a car too? do you have a locomotive engineer's license?
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The only reason it would be squirrely is you pull all the tongue weight off the front end when loaded and at 40" I don't think that will happen.
There was some talk about this a while ago and after searching all over I found the thread I was looking for but it was on the "other" forum.
Personally, I would find and buy one verses building one just from the liability aspect of it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Depending on brand and quality of 5th wheeler and center point of balance of rear axles, you may have some loss of hitch weight but unless you are going another 15' or so shouldnt be too much of a problem??? I have hauled motor cycles around behind my 5th wheeler for years BUT never hauled a golf cart mainly because of the size and weight ( can run near 1000 pounds ) and so can only make two points. One very important thing is some states have specific total weight and lengths allowed on highways so check before installing? If you have ever crossed a rail road tracks and had your 5th wheel bounce you know how much up and down whip you are in for PLUS.
#1-Check the bumper and what its attached to for strength? Most are only lightly welded to the end of frame rails and really are only made to haul the weight of sewer hose? I have seen in my travels rear RV bumpers torn free along side the roads still attached to cycles, storage baskets, handicap scooters, even a auto on I-5 in California? In one case I looked at one and found that the bumper was only spot welded to frame rails and only 20-24 guage and showed signs of cracking long before it finally let go?
#2- Often the spare tire is mounted under rear of 5th whelers and that weight along with added weight on rear of frame could very possibly bend the frame? I always had cross braces added to frame and then extensions attached running to supports for my cycles. ( hauled a road Harley for many years and weight is really high )
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Reveye
Getting Wild

Club Car

Here is another option. Pricey, but a safe option...........

Rev
Reveye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post
I have a 40ft 5th wheel camper that I would like to build a rack to haul my cart. Does anyone else have experience with this? My RV has two receivers and they are spread out about the width of camper. Blue Ox makes one (see link) I was just wondering how squirly things would get back there

Thanks, David
I have a 33' 5er and wouldn't mount something like that on the back of mine. I do pull a Jeep behind it and a trailer with my cart on it (not at the same time) but that is as much beating as I want to put my 5er through. Putting one ON a platform behind a MoHo is one thing but in my opinion, you are asking for a torn up 5er if you do as you plan.

The Train.jpg
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

YA REVEYE that looks like it might take alot of the weight off 5th wheeler bumper but again some states dont allow any secondary wheeled items behind trailers or 5th wheelers.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Reveye
Getting Wild

Club Car

Very true. There is another one, which I can't find right now, that is a swivelwheel and not a trailer. It is hard mounted to the hitch and actually becomes part of the 5th wheel. You don't even have to worry about backing up because it is locked with the 5er......

Rev
Reveye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post

Thanks, David
The frame on most 5th wheels is no where near what most Diesel Pushers are.

So my opinion... Class A Diesel Coach... yes... 5th wheel trailor... no
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car