lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
slaurents
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1998 EZ Go TXT

I am a newbie here. This is my first post. I will be buying a used TXT cart and have some questions. This cart is currently set up with a 36volt system. It has three marine batteries in it. The chassis and body seem to be in real good shape, except that it's been sitting out side for a while. I plan on putting the six, 6 volt batteries back in it. May need some advise on how to connect all the wires to all the right places. It will also need a new key start switch and plywood under the seat. Anything else that you think i need to do or look for? Once I get it cleaned up and running good, I will start fixing it up. (paint job, lift kit, tires and wheels).

I happened to come across some Honda deep dish aluminum quad rims for dirt cheep. I understand that carts have a 4/100 bolt pattern. The rims have a 4/110 bolt pattern. The difference between them is about .020" per bolt hole. I read somewhere that you can hone out the bolt hole to make up the difference, and the rims will fit. Is this true?

Thanks
slaurents is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZ Go TXT

Biggest thing I look for in a used buggy is rust. I live in a coast town and the salt water eats the battery racks quick.

Does it run now with the 3 12v batteries?
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For your own safety, as well as that of anyone with you, don't "hone out" your wheel lug holes. The lug pattern is a 4 by 100. That makes it the same as about 65% of all Japanese made cars with 4 bolt patterns. Lot and lots of wheels out there to choose from.

Fishb8 asks a good question. Does it run now? If the seat bottom is rotted out, the cart has been sitting unprotected for quite a while. You may need more than batteries. What drive system is it? Either SERIES, which will NOT have a toggle switch on the black box under the passenger seat, or, SEPEX, which will have the "run/tow" toggle switch.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
slaurents
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

We live about 30 miles north of the gulf. I would like to take it down to just the frame and clean and re-paint if it's not to hard. The seat plywood does need to be replaced, but it is useable for awhile. The battery tray does need to be cleaned, but I don't believe it's rusted to bad. Yes it runs with the three marine batterys, just not long. They drain pretty fast. Guess I can check around for some 4/100 pattern rims. I don't know what series it is. There is no switch for tow under the seat. I believe the forward/reverse lever by the drivers right leg may have a neutral position to free wheel it.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it runs and has little rust......then I kinda jealous
I can't help on the wheels. But as for the help with the wiring/cables, we gonna need to know the which buggy you have. Can you take some pictures?
Taking it to down to the frame is not hard. but putting it back together can be

Just prepare yourself. This will either frustrate you and you will never buy another one, or it will become an addiction. I have restored and sold more than 5...so far. I have 3 at my house now. 1 is mine. 2 are projects. I fix them up get them running, let my kids play with them for a month or so(if it survives) then sell it.
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaurents View Post
We live about 30 miles north of the gulf. I would like to take it down to just the frame and clean and re-paint if it's not to hard. The seat plywood does need to be replaced, but it is useable for awhile. The battery tray does need to be cleaned, but I don't believe it's rusted to bad. Yes it runs with the three marine batterys, just not long. They drain pretty fast. Guess I can check around for some 4/100 pattern rims. I don't know what series it is. There is no switch for tow under the seat. I believe the forward/reverse lever by the drivers right leg may have a neutral position to free wheel it.
If the F&R is by the seat and you have no run/tow toggle switch on the controller cover then you have found a series drive cart.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It takes a drill, two different size bits and a couple wrenches to remove the body. Basically it's not much more than drilling out the rivets. The bolts are obvious. Look in the stickies and you'll will find some owners manual info. Find the section on removing the body and you're ready to go. It really is the only way to do it right.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
slaurents
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Tore it down to the frame, well the half from the brake pedle back. The fame had more rust than I thought. Had to remove the battery box. Gonna make a new one. I will probably cut out the portion of the frame out side of the main frame on both the driver and passenger side and weld in some new ones. Its a series type, 36 volt cart. Had the batterys checked at O'Reillys. all were bad. After I get the frame done, gona get some new six volt batteries and see it it runs. Got alot more work to do to it than I thought.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but:
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
slaurents
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry bout the pics. Me and computer don't know much about each other.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO