lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
SoHappyHere
Not Yet Wild

Default Can my charger float charge?

I am new at golf cart ownership, and need some advise. I bought a very old (86) golf cart, and charger. The charger is an EZ-GO Total Charger. (green and white), with a dial starting 1 on left, around to 11 top right on the top left of front, a meter on the right top front, and a red reset button on it. The owner said he kept it plugged in all the time so that the batteries are always charged. I do not see how to set this charger to do that. It charges, and at first, it's in good shape, but if I leave it there 3-4 days plugged in, and check it, it's very close to being dead. Batteries supposed to be 3 years, maybe. I would like to be able to leave it plugged in, and it will (what I understand is float charge), so it will be ready at any time. Does this charger do that? Thanks so much,
SoHappyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can my charger float charge?

no ur charger wont do that u have to set timer to make it charge
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappyHere View Post
but if I leave it there 3-4 days plugged in, and check it, it's very close to being dead. Batteries supposed to be 3 years, maybe.
that would indicate your batteries are on their last leg . to test batteries put charger on 11 and let it run then check pack voltage after charger has been off for 12 hours ..then check each battery... refer to below chart as to how much your cart charged to .. post numbers for us to see ..

Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
crash test dummy

year of battery will be a number and letter stamped in neg post .. A3 = jan 2013

btw ... welcome to BGW
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well the others already let you know your charger doesn't have a "float" mode, after it shuts off after a charge, you have to manually start the charger again. you said that your batteries are 3 yrs old. and the fact that after they are charged, and in 3 or 4 days without use they are nearly dead....your batteries are on their last leg, or worse.

I would recommend for you to read and heed all the battery info on the below link.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html

oh and btw.....CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You are describing the Green Face Total Charge pictured below.
It is an automatic charger, but it does not have a float charge mode, nor does it re-initiate a charge cycle when the batteries get low when it is left connected after the charge cycle ends.

The timer on it serves two purposes.
1. Tells you how long the charge cycle lasted.
2. Terminates charge cycle if pack voltage has not climbed to to predetermined shutoff voltage in 12 hours.

Once the charge cycle terminates due to reaching predetermined voltage or the timer has timed out, the only way to start a new charge cycle is by unplugging the charger from the cart and then plugging it back in again.
(More correctly, the battery sense circuit has to be opened and then reconnected)

----
Sounds like your batteries are at or near the end of their useful life.

Cart batteries typically self-discharge at about 1% SoC (State of Charge) per day, so going to almost dead in 3-4 days isn't a good sign.

What is the battery pack voltage and individual battey voltages about 12 hours after the charger shuts off?
Should be 38.2V for the pack and 6.37V for each battery and all batteries should be within 0.1V of the others.

-----
I use a DPI Accusense charger, which goes into a float charge mode after the normal charge cycle completes.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Charge Green Face.jpg (56.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure you put your charger on "start" to initiate charging. It will then have a full 12 hour capability. I have seen folks start these on 11 (me included at first) and in doing so you're only getting a 1 hour charge! That could explain the dead batteries! If your dial label is worn "start" is between "off" and "1". It shows well in JohnnieB's photo.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO