lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
huthut
Not Yet Wild

Default Schauer battery charger questions

I have a cart with 8 6v batteries I picked up and it has a schauer charger. The batteries are 2011 and appear to be well taken care of. Ran the cart yesterday and very happy. I plugged in the charger last night with pack starting at 49.5v.

Charger came on got quite warm pack voltage was reading 59.1 when I went to bed and charger like i said pretty warm with both lights (green and yellow) both on. I figured by morning the charger would have been in float mode but it was not. Pack voltage still around 59.5 but charger not warm anylonger but both lights still on.

Individual 6V battery voltages while charging ranged from 7.16 upto 7.68. There was one battery on the high end and one on the low end and the other 6 were close to each other around 7.45.

I am going to check the individual cells today.

Any insight on the function of a Schauer charger would be great. How long should it take to charge?

thanks
huthut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
huthut
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Schauer battery charger questions

Update - tested each cell in each battery. 7 batteries looked great 1.265-1.290 was the range seen amongst all the batteries. one battery was low in 2 cells. I filled them with distilled water and tested and they were 1.220. I started the charger back up and will check the weak batteries cells later. I may have one bad battery or maybe the low water levels did not allow the charged to go into the float mode.
huthut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Schauer battery charger questions

What make/model batteries?
What model Schauer charger?

The weak battery(ies) prevent the charger from advancing to the float charge mode.

If you can lay your hands on a 6V charger, use it to charge the weak one(s) or pair the weakest ones in series and use a 12V charger.

You are cooking the better batteries by charging them in series with weak ones.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO