lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO electric battery cables HOT

Hot,warm cable is due to loose connection,bad connection,to small a cable for amp draw.

Bucs you should always charge batteries on deticaded battery charger designed for golf cart.
Battery tender can be used to maintained “charged” batteries if it’s rated for 36/48 volt depending voltage but will not properly recharge batteries.
Hth😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2019, 05:20 AM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO electric battery cables HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
Does the battery tender work as well as the battery charger?
I suppose that's a question of the quality/engineering of the unit. But do please understand, it can't be expected to do the job of a daily use type charger. The batteries need the driving use & "kick in the shorts" of the real charger to keep their health good. Lead batteries that sit unused, and not charged vigorously on occasion would suffer from a condition known as "stratification". The sulphuric acid is a bit heavier than water, and the heavier portion should eventually sink lower to the bottom, causing the plates to have uneven mix of electrolytes from top to bottom. The action of motion would help, and the "bubbling" you might notice during charging helps this stay normal. The bubbling is not "added" to help this, (that's just a natural process of electrolysis), but it's occurance helps keep the mix "mixed up". A "battery tender" could do it's good by ensuring battery voltage doesn't drop too low (where sulfication occurs, it occurs at accelerated rates when batteries are allowed to sit at lower charge levels). A "tender" cannot , and should not, push batteries to the levels where they do their "cycles" to maintain optimum health.

Allow me to explain why.

A lead acid golf cart battery sitting in a stored (not being actively used) condition has 3 primary needs for decent health.

- keep voltage (state of charge -SOC) above 80%
- electrolytes levels above the top of the plates
- enough activity to keep electrolytes mixed (I'll admit I don't have good timeframe data on that stagnation angle)
- (unlikely possible for 4th one, freezing, fully charged batteries don't freeze until temps are about 80f below 0).

The benefits of a "float charger" are these- (not a "trickle charger", a whole different animal, to be avoided), FLOAT CHARGER

- Should keep SOC near 100% at all times
- "good" for months times of no use - if it meets it's claims, no worries to the owner of power outages, ect.
- ready for "hop in and go"
- not elevate batteries into "gassing voltage" levels
- if engineered correctly, virtually no "water use" while your gone..

THEN

Its limitations/drawbacks (and things you can't expect it to do)

- just like anything else, you are trusting it to not catch your house on fire while your gone. (Maybe not put that faith in harbor freight? Just asking, I wouldn't). A golf cart pack is a whole lot of energy to be released through their tiny wires.

- can not be expected to do good charging for long term use, it's "upkeep" only, it can't "charge your batteries right", even if you only use it "once every 2 weeks"..

- also, no one looking in to verify the batteries aren't dead, or low water (only happens with a low quality unit that overcharged, or didn't maintain.

Sorry my outlook is so dim on this, but I have seen so many of these promises broken, I just dont trust about any of them. Actually having a human around, at least once in a while is the only way I see to be sure. And all the "snowbirds" still typically have people keeping a eye on their homes, could easily be done too.

I've owned an electric cart, and I know what I'd do (probably loan it to "trusted people" while I was gone, and fix it when I got back), if I were a part-timer.

Well, I guess that's why I'll be super busy in a couple of months, plenty of batteries......job security, l'll be busy.

Well, at least I learned to not loan it out anymore.....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO