lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #1
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Front end alignment- what a change

On my 2001 TXT, I was out cruising with the kiddos this weekend around the lakes. I hit a patch of sand on the road, and noticed a severe pull. Now the sand was no more than a skiff, just enough to reduce traction on that side. Long story short, I went home and checked the front end alignment, here were the findings:

I had over 1" toe-out!

After about 15 minutes I set it up for 1/8-1/4" toe-in. Keep in mind, I am just using a tape measure, but at under 10 mph, I think that will be fine (I have actually done cars the same way).

So here is the point of the thread-
1. I had NO idea it was this bad, no symptoms, wheel jerk on grass, etc, mainly I figure because it is an off road machine.

2. I took it for a drive after the basic alignment, (and greasing the tie rods, etc while I was right there) and MAN, what an amazing difference! Having never owned a cart before, I was unaware what "normal" was, but the improvement is vast. I picked up speed, the steering is more precise, and since I am not " scrubbing the tires" the tires will last longer, and less amp draw on the pack!

Long story short, a 15 minute maintenance session was probably the best thing I have done in terms of performance.

Hoping it helps someone out there.
BigDaddyChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
NoleFan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front end alignment- what a change

I need to do this. Any good write ups you followed?
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Nope. Its pretty simple, just like a car. In a nutshell:

1. Measure Center to center on the very front of the front tire. Record reading. Repeat on the rear of the front tire. The front number (in my auto experience) should be 1/8" to 1/4" less than the rear.

2. If it is not, and if you have the black plastic cover on the front under the body, remove it.

3. Then, jack up front of cart, locate the tie rods, loosen the nuts on each end of each tie rod. Adjust the tie rod by using an adjustable wrench (or 5/8 in my case) to lengthen or shorten the rods (turn the rod clockwise or counterclockwise). Mine were snug, might use some penetrating oil).

NOTE: Make small adjustments, it is NOT a 1:1 ratio (1" of tire movement is much less than 1" tie rod movement)

4. Once you have 1/8" to 1/4" toe in, tighten the nuts on each end of the tie rod. Re- measure to assure nothing moved.

5. While there, grease ball joints, spindles, and the steering gear. Check the free spin of the front wheels.
BigDaddyChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
DJDraco
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just happened across this post as I did my alignment last night. The manufacturer of my lift kit, Steeleng, says they should be 1/8-1/4 shorter on the rear than the front. Is there a reason it would be shorter on the front rather than rear or vise versa?
DJDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
country_bumpkin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDraco View Post
Just happened across this post as I did my alignment last night. The manufacturer of my lift kit, Steeleng, says they should be 1/8-1/4 shorter on the rear than the front. Is there a reason it would be shorter on the front rather than rear or vise versa?
Always thought is was 1/8-1/4 'toe in', but i haven't owned my cart very long.
country_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDraco View Post
The REAR? That would make it handle and steer like a race car--very sensitive and scary at speed--lifted, top heavy and darting around. I've experienced that with a misaligned RXV and it is not something I'd like to repeat.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Front wheel cars and 4x4 need toe out on the front so when under power they go to a straight up position. The rear wheel drive need toe in so while going down the road will go to the straight up position.
chrisr32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyChopShop View Post
Long story short, a 15 minute maintenance session was probably the best thing I have done in terms of performance.
Lucky! I just did my tie rods on my cart on Saturday and they were caked in old grease that had dried on and were ceased. It took a can of break cleaner (to remove a cm of dry grease), blow torch, a bunch of B'laster - 8-PB - Penetrating Catalyst and a massive pipe wrench to uncease them to do my alignment. It was 2 hours of sweat, some blood and cursing for sure.

But, my tie rods look brand spanking new now and my wheels are aligned and the cart isn't wobbly. I almost gave up and ordered new ones they were so bad.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Toe , the diference in which way the front tires are aligned when steering wheel is straight should always be negative meaning distance between front of front tires should be less then distance of the rear of the front tires,hence toe in.
The more toe in an cart/car has, the more stable steering response is.
Toe “out” would make steering more responsive ,cart want kto wander side to side when driving
,more so at higher speeds.
Toe out is not what we want on our carts. 1/8” to 1/4” toe in is desired setting.
Fast easy check is like Big Daddy discriped. Tape measure, not that critical an adjustment unless you have uneven tire wear.
Drive cart in straight line. Stop, do not move steering wheel, then measure distance from inside of front tire
and distance between rear of front tire.
Distance between front of front tires should be less by 1/8 to 1/4” compared to rear front tire.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

I run a string line across the back tire. Touching hard on the back of the tire and just an ever so slight gap on the front. Then I continue that string line past middle of the front tire and take my measurements with a tape measure from the string to front and the back (of the front tire) and make my adjustments for 1/8-1/4" toe in. Basically an 1/8-1/4" bigger in the front. Just make sure your front wheels are straight before you take any measurements. The pics are just to help explain, my front tires probably aren't straight. Well, like i said, that's how I do it and it's worked fine on all my atv's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6199.jpg (53.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6200.jpg (46.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6201.jpg (66.4 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO