lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
rfrains2019
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Will Not Move

First the year and Model
EZ-GO Medalist Ser# 846195 Electric 36V 1994

I have read many posts on here about cart not moving so I will try to explain what I have done so far.
I ordered new battery cables, cleaned battery posts and installed new cables.
I check continuity between S1 and S2 and A1 and A2 on the motor. They checked good so I feel confident I still have a good motor.
I thought at first it might be the solenoid as there was no clicking so I ordered a new one and installed it. It is clicking but cart still does not move.
I have full power 36+ V at controller at all times between M- and B- does not matter if I push gas peddle down or not.
I have full power between the small posts on the solenoid when gas peddle is pushed down.
I lifted up the floor cover and removed plastic cover to find a small electronic switch. When a place a V meter on the leads connected to the small relay switch I have full power and when I press the gas peddle and the switch opens I get no power and the solenoid clicks.
I do need to mention after I took off the cover to expose the switch and pressed the gas peddle the did move. So I put it in reverse and it moved. It did this a couple times but now it does not move just a clicking solenoid.
The F/R switch looks fine no burnt cables or hot areas.
Also at the controller when using a VM on A2 an B+ I get no power even with the gas peddle pushed down. This may be normal.
Just not sure what to look at next. Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to attach some photos. If the photos are to small I can resize and send up again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190308_172125.jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190308_172240.jpg (45.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190308_172302.jpg (47.3 KB, 0 views)
rfrains2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart Will Not Move

It honestly sounds like the F/R switch may be the culprit. Though you may not see any burnt wires, it's possible that the contacts are pitted or dirty. The switch is fairly easy to work on. The 9/16" nut in the center allows the rotor to be removed from the contact plate.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

First of all, what is your exact battery pack voltage? You say you have full power at 36+ volts. The battery pack of a fully charged 36 volt system should read 38.2 volts and at 36.31 volts, your only at 50% charge. It seems to me that your batteries aren't fully charged. You have enough voltage to get the solenoid to click, but not enough to move the cart. Charge the batteries and then let them sit for 12-24 hours before you take a reading. See what the battery pack voltage is and check each battery individually.
Did you do any tests on the ITS?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html
Also, check your molex plug (see pic), they are notorious for giving electrical problems. You can unplug it and spray some electrical cleaner in there and plug it in and out a few times to see if it helps. Most of us have just cut the plug out and soldered the wires together and used marine grade heat shrink tubing. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4281.jpg (52.3 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
rfrains2019
Not Yet Wild

I was not sure how to check the ITS but here is what I did. I placed a VM across the leads and with the peddle not pushed down the is no voltage. When I press the peddle down I still get no voltage. Should I get a reading with the peddle pushed down?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What type of controller do you have. I always have done the troubleshooting of the ITS at the controller connection.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Throttle testing is in the Stickies.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf

Troubleshooting is in chapter E Technician's service and repair manual electric carts:
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrains2019 View Post
I was not sure how to check the ITS but here is what I did. I placed a VM across the leads and with the peddle not pushed down the is no voltage. When I press the peddle down I still get no voltage. Should I get a reading with the peddle pushed down?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html

I gave you this link in my original post. It explains how to test the throttle. Did you charge your batteries? Batteries need to be fully charged to get accurate readings when testing.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
rfrains2019
Not Yet Wild

OK,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I had to take a trip to Houston TX to take care of the grad kids a few days. My wife and I survived a 3 and a 5 year old....

I charged the batteries before we left and now they are reading 37.8 did not check before we left but cart has not been on so I don't think I'm getting 38.2.
Ok checked the molex plug but it is already gone. Somebody cut it out and used the slip type wire connectors. They all seem tight and crimped properly. Next tested the ITS.
I tested 2 ways as somebody suggested a continuity test.
It failed the continuity test. No resistance with pedal up or down.
Then I tested for voltage as was posted. No voltage with pedal up or down so at this point I think it is the ITS unless somebody knows a reason I'm not getting any resistance or voltage at the ITS.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hmmm... Your battery voltage is low considering there has been no use since the last charge. What is the age/condition of your batteries? Have they been load tested?

Weak batteries create a number of symptoms.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO