lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Drop axle lift, tires rub on turns

I have a '98 TXT with a drop axle lift. It has "S T" on the spindle arms. The tires are 22-11/8 and when turning sharply or while crossing uneven terrain, the tires rub the fenders.

It seems as if the whole axle assembly needs to move forward a couple inches. I don't know if perhaps a spacer on the shock mounts would help much.

I am sure that others here have run into the same issue, but I haven't found a thread dealing with this specifically.

It seems that longer springs are required to shift the axle forward, but I haven't seen such a thing offered for sale.

What have you guys done to remedy this situation on your cart?
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drop axle lift, tires rub on turns

What rims are on it? If they are stock(no Offset),that may be your issue.Most lift-kits require Offset wheels,some may even require a 10" wheel,but that doesnt seem to be the case here,since its your tires interfering,not the rims.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

They're not factory. They do offset some to the outside. It's the tread rubbing the fender.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I found this a while back. Maybe it'll help to know the terms. I don't, which is why I collect files I may need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BACKSPACING.jpg (55.5 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
Sideways
Gone Wild

Not sure if a 98 TXT's frt suspension is the same as my 94 Medalist but I ended up moving the frt leaf springs over the frt axle vs the stock position of mounting under the axle to solve my tire clearance issues.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

post some pics of the cart, front suspension and looking in the fender with the tire turned all the way.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the delay; it's been a bit hectic the past couple days.

Here's a picture of the tire turned I snapped tonight. I will get some better shots tomorrow when the sun is out.
You can see the clean spot on the inside of the wheel well where the tire rubs; the other side is the same story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190326_201625.jpg (175.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Has anyone here successfully shifed their axle forward?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dropped spindles extend the hubs and wheels outward compared to stock spindles. That puts the tires further away from the king pins and closer to the body when turned full lock left or right. A drop axle pushes the hubs outward but not closer to the body when turned full lock. It is a geometry issue.

Just dropped spindles may not be enough lift to keep the tires from touching the body on your cart. The springs don't need to be longer. Those are ST spindles. That model came with 20" tires, not 22".

Spacers and more offset wheels may make the problem worse. Consider smaller tires or a more appropriate style lift like a drop axle. Your springs may be old and sagging too.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There are 3-different front springs between Marathon and TXT.The Early Marathon til about 86/87,Then They had a shorter one from 88-94,Then the TXT had one that is about 1-1/2-2" Longer than the early Marathon.I'll have to look,but I think they were something like 19",17" and 21",in that order.I made new ones for mine that matched the TXT-Springs.Spindle-Lifts do tend to push the wheels ahead,and out.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop axle, fender, rubbing, tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO