lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #21
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Go big or go a little?

Wow! I didn't expect to see the wires popped out like that!
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
Lehman_GT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I understand tuning the 36V motor down and running it on 48V batteries.

Is there a disadvantage to going with the 48V and running it on 48V batteries?

more efficient? less? more speed?
Lehman_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Wow! I didn't expect to see the wires popped out like that!
A lot of centrifugal force with a little heat mixed in does some interesting things. The whole motor was more or less a single blob of junk.

I tried to drive the armature out with a sledge hammer to no avail and the took the bolts out of the field shoes and beat on it some more. I managed to separate the end cap from the case by about 1/4" before I gave up.

Here is a side view after some TLC with a 8lb sledgehammer and a closer view of the end.

FWIW, my calculations indicate there was about 4,000G trying to pull the armature apart when it let go. Had it not been for the excessive heat, it might have stuck together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (1.13 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (1,011.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #24
Lehman_GT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are there any other motor recommendations besides the FSIP Speed Motor? Or will that be a good replacement from the stock and be a good upgrade?
Lehman_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Admiral offers a B2 motor and there are a few others too
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman_GT View Post
Are there any other motor recommendations besides the FSIP Speed Motor? Or will that be a good replacement from the stock and be a good upgrade?
There are half a dozen or more motor manufacturers that make motors that fit your cart, not counting custom builds. The tricky part is trying to figure out what is best without having a baseline to start from. At best, it is going to be a guess.

In other words, it is too soon to ask that question. Run the cart with all the upgrades except the motor to establish a baseline. Once you know how the cart performs at 48V with a stock PDS motor, you can decide if you need/want more torque or more speed of more of both.

----------
Unless you go to a lot taller tires, a 48V battery pack will spin a standard speed 36V sepex motor to the max RPM recommended by most motor manufacturers, so a hi-speed motor may not be a good choice since it will have less torque than a standard speed or hi-torque motor.

While running the stock PDS motor on 48V, spend the time exploring what motors are available and what is needed to make the cart perform like you want it to,
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO