lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
57seagrave
Not Yet Wild

Default does not move after charging

The problem is that after charging the cart will not move in forward or reverse. It is a 98 model J398. After 4 or 5 days it will work fine so I tried a different charger thinking that it was overcharging but it still does the same thing. I can hear the solenoid click when trying to move but nothing else happens. Thanks for any help.
57seagrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: does not move after charging

Welcome.

Is cart new to you? Is this a new symptom? Did you do anything to it that may have caused the issue?

Does the cart have an aftermarket controller?

One work-around is to burn off over-voltage by turning on lights, music, horn ().

Tell us drive type:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
57seagrave
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.

I have had the cart for about three years. The problem started last year. I have done nothing to the cart but replacing the batteries and the reverse micro switch when I first got it.

I sent the controller out last year to be rebuilt when the problem started but it did not make any difference and as for as I know it is the original controller

The only electrical option is the lights so that would only draw down 2 of the batteries.

It appears to be a series system with the 1206SX controller DCS.

I hope this can help with diagnosis

I also bought the new type smaller charger this winter and used that this spring and still have the same problem

Thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you have a handheld multimeter? Do you know what the voltage is after a charge and how much it has to bleed down to start working? You mentioned 4 - 5 days.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
57seagrave
Not Yet Wild

I'll be using it this weekend and then I will charge it and take some readings and let you know how long and the voltages each day after it starts working again.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I can't help you, but hopefully the readings will be useful to someone here who can. I have heard of after market controllers with max voltages being set too low, and was hoping that was your problem. While it's not a good solution, you can always find a resistance to hook up to the whole pack with jumper cables, like an incandescent light bulb, and keep batteries fully charged, but drain them a little when you need to drive.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I can't help you, but hopefully the readings will be useful to someone here who can. I have heard of after market controllers with max voltages being set too low, and was hoping that was your problem. While it's not a good solution, you can always find a resistance to hook up to the whole pack with jumper cables, like an incandescent light bulb, and keep batteries fully charged, but drain them a little when you need to drive.
This is the only thing I can think of that would cause the cart not to run fresh off the charger and 4-5 days of sitting would fix...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This is the only thing I can think of that would cause the cart not to run fresh off the charger and 4-5 days of sitting would fix...
Like my suggested fix?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
57seagrave
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: does not move after charging

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the long wait but it has been a bad year and haven't been doing much.

I charged the cart last night and when I checked it this morning the same thing was happening and the charge meter was only showing half charged so I tried leaving the switch on and in forward and checked it about 3 hours later and still nothing.

I had bought a new solenoid because of it clicking so I changed it and now it works and the charge meter now shows full charge.

So hopefully the next time it gets charged the problem will stay solved.

Ken
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO