lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Tow/Maintenance switch question

I have read to place Run/Tow switch to Tow before Disconnecting or reconnecting anything electrical, but unsure why or what could happen, since I forgot when recently installing digital volt gauge off the key switch.

I have 2001 TXT PDS 36v.

purpose of this thread is to better understand tow/maintenance switch. just wondering why, thanks in advance.

Last edited by lvandyke; 04-09-2019 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: mis-spell
lvandyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Tow/Maintenance switch question

Tow/run switch takes power away from the motor controller "logic board", that's the computery part of the motor controller most likely to be affected by voltage spikes.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you
Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As you've probably discovered by now, the dash mounted DVM doesn't work when F/R is in neutral and reads about 0.6V lower when in reverse.

Also, the battery voltage travels through 4 sets of switch contacts, 6 plug/jack interfaces and 3 PCB runs to get to the switched side of the keyswitch, so it might read lower than the actual battery pack voltage.

My dash mounted DVM has been connected directly to the battery pack and has been running 24/7 since Sep-2011 with no perceived deterioration in accuracy or visibility.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
As you've probably discovered by now, the dash mounted DVM doesn't work when F/R is in neutral and reads about 0.6V lower when in reverse.

Also, the battery voltage travels through 4 sets of switch contacts, 6 plug/jack interfaces and 3 PCB runs to get to the switched side of the keyswitch, so it might read lower than the actual battery pack voltage.

My dash mounted DVM has been connected directly to the battery pack and has been running 24/7 since Sep-2011 with no perceived deterioration in accuracy or visibility.
And each and every "weak link" mentioned above is 18 years old. However, a lower reading is "safe". I have dedicated wires from all eight T-105s and my 12 v aux battery. Already had the rotary switch for another project so why not?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
hhansen59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

can someone tell me what the voltage should be when batteries are fully charged on this cart. I have a PowerWise charger that probably came with my 2001 PDS and I just replaced the batteries. I noticed a reading of about 47v when it was plugged in and when I removed the cord the batteries are reading 39v. The charger says it is supposed to shut off automatically but it hasn't yet. I don't know if it works correctly, probably does, but I would like to know what I should be seeing. thanks
hhansen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You might get more responses by not hi-jacking a post titled, "Re: Tow/Maintenance switch question", and start a new post.

"Hi-jacking" is just a term, and isn't meant as an insult to someone new here.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhansen59 View Post
can someone tell me what the voltage should be when batteries are fully charged on this cart. I have a PowerWise charger that probably came with my 2001 PDS and I just replaced the batteries. I noticed a reading of about 47v when it was plugged in and when I removed the cord the batteries are reading 39v. The charger says it is supposed to shut off automatically but it hasn't yet. I don't know if it works correctly, probably does, but I would like to know what I should be seeing. thanks

Would be best to start a new thread.

You didn't indicate if your cart is a 36 volt cart or a 48 volt cart.

If it's 36 volts your fine. If it's 48 volts your batteries would better serve you as a boat anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

thanks, I will rethink this DVM and run to batteries. DO I go to pack connections on Charger port?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post
thanks, I will rethink this DVM and run to batteries. DO I go to pack connections on Charger port?
That will work, but it is easier just to use 5/16" ring terminals and add on top of the high current cables and charge cables on the battery pack's main B+ and B- terminals.

Stack order is high current cable on bottom, charging cable next and DVM wires last.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO