lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
drkatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Frankenstein EZGO needs a new motor. Which one?

First time posting here, but I need some technical help. I have a 96 EZGo TXT and it seems to be bastardized. First, it has been working fine since at least 2012 when I got it. It just stopped the other day and the motor has definitely burned up. I took it apart and found one of the terminal wires burned off at the brush. Now for the confusing part. The motor is a Series motor, the best I can tell, since it has no speed sensor wire coming out. 4 terminals, S!,S2, A1 and A2, all the same size. But it has a 9 pin DCS controller with all wires in the connector, which my reading has led me to believe goes with a regen motor. What motor should I order?
drkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Frankenstein EZGO needs a new motor. Which one?

The studs on a stock DCS motor were all the same size and were labeled A1, A2, S1 & S2 (Attch-1) and does not have a speed sensor (Attch-2), but is a sepex motor.

Look at the field windings, they consist of many turns of relatively thin wire (Attch-3) .

The stator windings in a series motors few a few turns of thick wire (Attch-4) or ribbon conductor (Attch-5)

Order a sepex motor.

All, or at least most, aftermarket sepex motors have speed sensors, but they are not used in a DCS cart.

There may be a problem with getting anything except a stock DCS motor for a replacement since the field map loaded in the controller has to match the motor and the field map loaded in a stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) cannot be changed. Check with motor manufacturer to find out is they have sepex motors that will work with a stock DCS controller.

The stock DCS controller is a failed design, so the best solution would be to upgrade to an Alltrax XCT-48400-DCS (or larger) controller, which is user programmable and field maps for any sepex motor that will fit in the cart are user loadable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-dcs-motor-1.jpg (37.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo-dcs-motor-3.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo-dcs-motor-2.jpg (38.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Series Motor.jpg (662.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AMD 7126 Raptor.jpg (317.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I saw an alltrax DCS controller for cheap here in the sale section
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
drkatt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB. That's very helpful information. I think I'll go with your recommendation to go with another (Alltrax) controller, too. Thanks again!
drkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

No guarantee your motor didn't take out you controller so good choice, which now opens up the possibilities for an upgraded motor, and that may lead to a need for upgraded cables and solenoid, and once batteries die, you'll wanna go up to 48 volt, so make sure everything can deal with both 36 and 48 volt.

CP241 mentioned an Alltrax here for cheap. Dunno specs.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, regen, series
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO