lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Default 2001 txt series cart troubleshooting.

Got a buddy working on the cart in the subject line. Brand new US2200 batteries. Charged them yesterday with a new Yewy charger. However this morning he had 37.9 volts on the pack. With the key on and in forward, when you hit the go pedal the solenoid clicks but the motor doesn't turn. He checked voltage coming into and out of the forward reverse switch which showed battery voltage on both sides and into and out of the solenoid. Before pressing the go pedal the voltage was slightly lower coming out of the solenoid but went to pack voltage after pressing the go pedal. I got him to check all the wires going to the motor before and after pressing the go petal while holding the negative lead of his dvm on the pack negative. He said there was voltage present on at least one of them whether the pedal was pressed or not which I thought was strange. I think it was the same as the lower voltage he detected on the out side of the solenoid without pressing the go pedal. This occurred even with the key switch off. This could be why the pack voltage was down to 37.9, not sure. He checked the reed switch at the charger port as well. Says it was good. I'm guessing he should check reading on the its and try the motor with a 12 volt battery next? What's y'all's thoughts on this?
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 txt series cart troubleshooting.

1. What is the battery pack voltage when he tries to go and nothing happens. Does it stay at 37v or drop?
2. Did the cart run before the new battery install?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

I'll verify, but from talking during the troubleshooting, the battery voltage stayed the same when the go pedal was pressed. I asked if it was running before putting batteries in it and he said no. His son's father in law gave him the cart and it sat for a year or so before getting it. I got to say though, it looks good. Almost like new. Pulled the cover off the controller and it was pristine under there. Same for the pedal box. I asked him what the guy said was wrong with it and he said he told him the batteries were bad.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Working on this again. What we've discovered is there is no voltage coming or going to the ITS. When you hold the negative lead of the DVM to the negative battery post and the positive lead to the White wire at the ITS and click the micro switch on, there is no voltage on the white wire. Solenoid is clicking. Checked the black wire on the other part of the coil and it's showing 0 volts as well. What would cause this? Shorted wire, molex connector, or bad controller?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd eliminate the Molex, and try again. You can always check voltage at the controller.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Is the black wire going to the ITS a ground or does it send voltage to the ITS, with the white wire returning voltage, which changes as the plunger moves in and out? Trying to understand how this operates. I understand that the controller determines how much power to send to the motor based on the reading of the white wire. Right now both wires have 0 volts when hooking the negative lead of the DVM to battery negative and the positive lead to either the white or black wire going to the controller down at the pedal box. If I disconnect the plug at the controller and want to check voltage there, what should it be for the pin going to both the black and white wires.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the controller is not powered up it will not send any voltage to the ITS - what controller is in the cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

It has a Curtis 25864G05. I'm assuming that's the stock controller.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Did you note what ScottyB said, that the controller has to be powered up? Several ways to do this, but most place cart on jack stands and press pedal until solenoid clicks, then measure.

I assumed you were using the Throttle Troubleshooting in the Stickies?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Yes, was pressing the pedal while measuring. Solenoid was clicking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO