lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Richie311
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 EZGO series dcs will creep forward then stop.

So a few weeks ago I put in batteries on this golf cart and screwed up the wiring and blew my controller, sent that out to be rebuilt by a guy recommended on here and reinstalled it. After putting in the new controller The cart will start to go forward moving the wheels ever so slightly then stop. I went ahead and put it up on jackstands and tried to get it to do the same thing, it will sometimes click and then turn the wheels but any sort of load on the wheels and they stop immediately.

Curious if anyone has any idea where I should start to diagnose this.
Richie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
RAG
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1998 EZGO series dcs will creep forward then stop.

Hello I am going to have my controller rebuilt and have asked for recommendations on this web site but I don't want to go to the same place you did can you tell me the company or person you sent yours too?
Ralph.
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Controller rebuilding is a misnomer, a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.
Engines are rebuilt. An engine rebuilder can give a list of parts that will be changed and machined in the rebuild process.
Speed controllers are repaired. There is no list of parts. I asked them for one.
They simply look for the one piece that failed and replace it. One piece out of a hundred that are equally old, and stressed but have not failed - yet.
This is a good cheap alternative for cart flippers. Minimum expense & maximum profit.
It's not something you want to rely upon in your own cart. Most of these old repaired controllers fail again soon.
Pay for this 2 or 3 times ($$) and you could have had an Alltrax with more power or speed and a 2 year warranty.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Richie311
Not Yet Wild

So no ideas on a place to start troubleshooting? And it's a sepex dcs.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Richie311
Not Yet Wild

And I spent 75 on sending it in
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with ScottB. Put a new controller in not a remanufactured one.

I recently changed the Curtis 1206SX controller in my cart as it had a warped case from heat. My controller "worked" but, it was going to fail and I didn't want to have to change it at the trailer park when I wanted to use the cart.

Repairing electronic boards is not an easy thing. Taking the case off your 1206 controller is not an easy thing to do.

Controllers are not meant to be repaired as they are sealed units. For example, my Navitas TSX3.0 600amp controller is IP5X rated meaning it is "dust protected". Once you break the seal on most controllers you are throwing the IP rating out the window and exposing the contents to the environment. In addition to ScottyB's wise comment "One piece out of a hundred that are equally old, and stressed but have not failed - yet" I would add that the parts are probably sitting exposed to the elements for possibly years before they are used. The parts were meant to be in a sealed unit not on a shelf waiting to be reused. They are exposed to dust, moisture and a whack of other environmental issues. They are probably all jammed into a box scraping against each other.

As well, I wouldn't trust anyone trying to solder on new stuff on to boards these days. Most of the controllers are complex... Even on a cart as old as yours. Too much heat on the iron... Drop of solder on the board and you will have another issue to deal with. Even if they do a direct board replacement they may have scratched the board prying off the case.

Most of the controller remanufacturing is just a bunch of spare parts thrown together. That is why you have to send the old unit to them. They scavange for parts.

I am sure there are good remanufacturers out there but, the risk isn't worth it as ScottyB points out. I did a lot of research on getting a rebuilt controller. All signs pointed to "No" when I shook my Magic 8 Ball. As well, I work in high-end electronics manufacturing. I would never recommend anyone purchase any remanufactured electronic thing. They generally are cheap for a reason. Price is attractive... Even to someone who should know better... :)

Good Luck!
Tayken
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO