lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT 96 DCS 36v to 48v Battery Tray

Hi Everyone,

I am going to upgrade my cart which is a 1996 DCS TXT to 48v. I have a Navitas TSX3.0 600amp Controller, MJZ-400 solenoid and a Navitas High-Performance motor in my cart. All new wiring as well.

The full details of my recent upgrades can be found in this thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...questions.html

Now, looking at my battery tray and what I have been told I need to change it so I can hold the 48v batteries. I have some questions that someone hopefully can answer for me:

Can I put a stock 48v battery tray (aluminum) for a 48v TXT into my cart or do I need to order a special tray like this one?:

https://www.batterypete.com/big-batt...t-1994-and-up/

Again, my appologies if this has been asked on this forum 1000 times. I did a search and found lots of information about putting the batteries in the trunk but, didn't come up with anything on replacing the 36v tray. So I turned to Google and came up with the above link for a "48-volt conversion txt 1994 and up".

As well, sourcing parts in Canada is often difficult. The cart shops I deal with haven't been able to answer my question either. (Probably because I am not asking it correctly when I call.)

Thank-you,
Impaled
"Ride Eternal Shiny and Chrome"
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO TXT 96 DCS 36v to 48v Battery Tray

If you are changing batteries go with 6 8 volts. Same footprint as 6 6s. If you are not changing batteries then you need to find a place to put 2 more. One will fit on the drivers side under the seat. Where did you mount your new controller?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If you are changing batteries go with 6 8 volts.
Yes. I want to go with 6x8v battery set.

Quote:
Same footprint as 6 6s.
For some reason the dealer I use mentioned that I need to change my battery tray to a different one to go to 48v. But, reviewing the sizing after your suggestion the footprint seems to be the same.

Here are the two footprints of the 8v batteries I am looking at:

Brand "A" (Labeled by the dealership)
Voltage: Length x Width x Height
6v: 260mm x 181mm x 267mm
8v: 260mm x 181mm x 283mm

Trojan Brand:
Voltage: Length x Width x Height
T-105 6v: 262mm x 181mm x 283mm
T-875 8v: 259mm x 180mm x 283mm

I included the 6v dimensions because the only real difference appears to be the height of the Brand "A" batteries.

I currently have 6 x 6v "generic" batteries that have nothing more than a warning label on them. So I have to physically measure the current batteries to see what their footprint is on the weekend. (Cart is at the park now.) But, I can't imagine they are smaller than the 6v battery sizes listed above.

Quote:
If you are not changing batteries then you need to find a place to put 2 more. One will fit on the drivers side under the seat. Where did you mount your new controller?
I mounted my controller where the 1206SX previously was and the solenoid in the same location. It is the passenger side. I would prefer to replace all the batteries with new 8v ones. If I don't have to get a conversion tray and can just get a new standard tray that would be great. My tray is not in the best shape so if I am going to upgrade the batteries I should update the tray. Dealer has trays but, was concerned that my current tray on my TXT was too small??

Thank-you!
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Maybe your dealer was thinking of four 12 volt batteries? Did you show him the dimensions you posted above? Look the same to me. Mine have a little wiggle room anyway.

I did my 48 volt conversion before I even considered using 8 volt batteries, so I had to move my controller, and with a series, the FNR had to be modified.

My stock battery tray needed some serious work with wire brushes, flapper sander, etc, but was more than structurally sound. Did yours see a lot of salt, or was it just used on a golf course? All of them will see acid, and probably will need attention at battery change time. Aluminum is not immune, by the way.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Maybe your dealer was thinking of four 12 volt batteries? Did you show him the dimensions you posted above? Look the same to me. Mine have a little wiggle room anyway.

I did my 48 volt conversion before I even considered using 8 volt batteries, so I had to move my controller, and with a series, the FNR had to be modified.

My stock battery tray needed some serious work with wire brushes, flapper sander, etc, but was more than structurally sound. Did yours see a lot of salt, or was it just used on a golf course? All of them will see acid, and probably will need attention at battery change time. Aluminum is not immune, by the way.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If your dealer told you that you would need to replace your battery tray to go from 6 6 volt to 6 8 volt I would be weary of that dealer. Sounds like he is trying to sell you things you don’t need or doesn’t know what he is talking about.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A big second on the Kgsc...

I have made the 6x6v to 6x8v changeover on at least 5 TxT's of various vintage... the only "mechanical changes"...

Longer/different hold down arrangement
Battery Cable change (slightly longer needed)

Of course the charger/solenoid/resistor/diode/controller/lighting etc also....

Have'nt regretted any of them !!!
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Called one of my local dealers a few years ago because I needed some 12 volt Trojans like now and they said they had them. Drove down there and told the person what I needed. They rolled out 4 8 volt batteries and said here ya go. Ummm. Nope. I need 12 volt. Response, these are 12s. Ummm strike 2. Ended up having to go in the back to explain the difference in batteries and how to tell how many volts they were. I ended up getting a really good deal because they had no idea what they were doing. Many horror stories came from there. They are no longer in business. Shocking I know.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
-------------
I currently have 6 x 6v "generic" batteries that have nothing more than a warning label on them. So I have to physically measure the current batteries to see what their footprint is on the weekend. (Cart is at the park now.) But, I can't imagine they are smaller than the 6v battery sizes listed above.
The battery trays in 36V EZGO carts were based on the footprint of Trojan T-105 (or its predecessor) batteries and had some wiggle room, so any battery manufacturer that want's to sell many of their 6V and 8V golf cart batteries will put them in boxes that will fit those trays.

A quick scan of the specs for the various battery brands I have in my stash indicates 6V and 8V cart batteries have the same width and within a couple MM of the same length, so they'll all fit a stock 36V EZGO tray.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I don’t think ezgo changed the part number on that battery tray when they went from 36 to 48 so that is probably a tell right there. Only difference I know of is length of jumper wires and battery orientation.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO