lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
mstahl20
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO PDS Rear Leaf Spring Options

Quick backstory, recently acquired a lifted 2004 PDS and have been slowly finishing a rebuild. The cart came with a very stiff 5 leaf rear suspension. To try and soften the ride while offering the support for the rear seat, I installed dual action springs manufactured by Red Hawk. After the install, I noticed the cart lost about 3" of ride height in the rear. I tried installing longer shackles at the rear of the spring the get the cart level, thinking the lowered ride height was due to less curve in the dual actions springs compared to what came with the cart. With the extended shackles, the cart stance didn't change, it just bent the leafs further down until they were in full contact with the heavy duty spring.

I have noticed a couple places advertise a "heavy duty" dual action spring. I don't know if this is what I installed, but am curious if anyone has any experience with standard vs. heavy duty dual action springs. I don't want to order another set of springs if it isn't going to maintain the original ride height of the cart. Many thanks for any feedback.
mstahl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
mstahl20
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO PDS Rear Leaf Spring Options

Has anyone installed dual action springs and seen considerable flex of the primary leafs, resulting in decreased ride height?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstahl20 View Post
Has anyone installed dual action springs and seen considerable flex of the primary leafs, resulting in decreased ride height?

Thanks!
Have you contacted the seller and/or manufacturer? I'm just asking, since no one replied yet.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In my experience it's either standard springs, or rigid HD springs. I haven't found any in between. Maybe someone else has and will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do you still have the original 5 leaf stack springs?

You could maybe try taking them apart, then try just the long one, then two, then three... See if one of those combinations gives you the ride height as well as comfort of ride.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

I don't understand how adding longer shackles didn't make a difference. Think about it. The springs are still holding the same amount of weight, just further from the axle. You didn't change the weight of the cart, so it should have went up in height. There is no reason why the springs should have compressed more based on what you are telling us. The physics don't add up. How much longer are the shackles you installed to try and fix it? Also, if the springs are already in contact with the extra leaf that's on the bottom, then you are defeating the purpose of dual action springs. They don't sound like they are heavy enough to start with.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I purchased dual action springs, but only because I took 400 pounds out of the cart when I converted to lithium.

The HD springs will stand taller. I understand the longer shackles will bring the cart back up to the same height, but it sounds like the dual action springs you put on just are not enough... Are you 48v with eight 6v batteries? What is in the cart that it came with 5 leaf springs... Is it stretched or have a full trailer hitch or???
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In my experience longer shackles will lower something not lift it. I had a truck once that I leveled out by putting longer shackles in the rear and that made it ride even with the front. I would say you'd need to add bigger blocks to make up what you lost with the lighter springs.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
mstahl20
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback. In response to a few comments; my first step was to remove 2 leafs off the original springs. It did soften the ride some, but it was still stiff and most reviews of the dual actions springs were positive, so thought it was worth a try. Yes, spoke to the distributor who refused to accept the return of the new springs since I had installed (but never left the garage). It was his suggestion to try the longer shackles. Ride height was the same with/without the longer shackle (no changes in the weight). Yes, the cart has 6 8v batteries. I don't want to risk ordering what is marketed as HD dual action springs if they are the same what I currently have.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstahl20 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. In response to a few comments; my first step was to remove 2 leafs off the original springs. It did soften the ride some, but it was still stiff and most reviews of the dual actions springs were positive, so thought it was worth a try. Yes, spoke to the distributor who refused to accept the return of the new springs since I had installed (but never left the garage). It was his suggestion to try the longer shackles. Ride height was the same with/without the longer shackle (no changes in the weight). Yes, the cart has 6 8v batteries. I don't want to risk ordering what is marketed as HD dual action springs if they are the same what I currently have.
I don't understand how longer shackles could not raise the cart?

Question was eight 6 volt batteries - excess weight. He also asked several other questions regarding weight.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO