lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
BBIGGS88
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo txt pds / plum quick upgrade and new controller?

First I would like to thank the guys that gave me advice last time. The help on this site saved me some money and address the correct situation instead of throwing money at parts. NEW SITUATION - I swapped the bearings and was very pleased with the results, the cart functioned properly and felt very smooth. After traveling about 1.5 miles I noticed a burnt smell, shortly after I lost power and could not go F or R and then after a few seconds ran like nothing was wrong. About half way back I smelled the smell again and lost power, a few seconds later it worked fine but the rest of the way back it felt sluggish. In everyone elses opinion where would you start with this problem? I was thinking about doing the bandit build from plum quick, but what controller should i run and what else should I change in the process. I have an EZGO PDS TXT, lifted, bigger tires, 2 gauge cables, only LED headlights and tailights ran through a reducer. I started with this cart planning to build it a little and planned on doing an upgrade, but don't want to miss anything else that could be giving me these issues
BBIGGS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo txt pds / plum quick upgrade and new controller?

I'd do a visual inspection and a sniff test, to see where the burnt smell is coming from.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

As well as check for loose, dirty and corroded connections
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Big tires, PDS, 36 volts? The only thing worse is weak or old batteries. If yes the problems will continue. 36v is a relatively low voltage high amperage operating system.
The big tires cause the motor to work harder and draw more amps. The motor rarely gets to freewheel in this set up and the continual high amp draw from the motor creates excessive heat.
One solution is 48v. Higher voltage uses lower amperage for the same amount of work which equal less heat, more power, and more speed.
One thought is a bandit motor is a remake of the stock motor. It is still a stock 2.5 hp motor not suitable for big tires. Big tires should be mated to a 8 hp motor like an Admiral B2 or any of many other torque motors offered... IMHO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Look into the Barracuda if interested in Plum Quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
BBIGGS88
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate the replies. If I switched everything over to 48 volt and added an upgraded motor what size and type controller would you run?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

400 or 500 depending upon the application like what motor, what tires, and where & how it was to be used?
The 500 comes with the cooling fan and the extra head room is good to have.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
BBIGGS88
Not Yet Wild

One more question for everybody. The last problem I had waa a stripped hub. We pushed the cart about 100 yards and then towed it about 300 yards, so roughly 1/4 of a mile. I just remembered that day I noticed after towing it that I did not switch the cart to tow mode. Could this have caused the problem? And if so what all does towing it in run mode normally damage?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
rib33024

It burns up the motor and the controller . It depends on how fast you towed it. And how far
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Ironically, the cart was towed because it had a stripped hub and the walkaway safety applies max regen braking, so the hub might have just spun on the axle instead of spinning the motor and burning out everything.

Not that it matters much, with tall tires a more robust motor and controller are needed anyways.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, ezgo, motor, pds, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO