lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #21
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZGO 36v TXT Series - Intermittent Stop and Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You'll have to consider the two new US 2200XC batteries as sacrificial items, meaning the when the six existing batteries are due to be replaced, so will the two new ones. Basically, the new ones will age rapidly to the same age as the existing ones.

In a nutshell, the 48V pack will be imbalanced, which will be detrimental to both the existing and new batteries, but you'll have 48V performance now instead of waiting until the 36V pack needs to be replaced.

I think this is what I will do. Have not been hard on batteries over the years as I keep them watered and fully charged.

The existing 200A solenoid probably won't run on 48V, so replace it with a MZJ400-48V or some 200A plus solenoid that will.

Good call, the MZJ400-48V looks like what I want.

You'll also need a 48V charger, The Lester Summit-II is a good choice.

OK

You can try to better balance the 48V pack by giving the 6 existing batteries some extra charge time by doing them in pairs with a 12V charger.

Will do. Will also start charge again after pack is charged to help balance batteries.

Here is a SoC chart for US Battery brand batteries.
Thanks, very helpful.
LicEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #22
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
When rewiring your controller to be powered up with key switch, look at an idea Sergio (I think?) mentioned, which is to change the sequence of the switches MS2 and KSI, which means KSI always has power when reed switch is satisfied, and it doesn't drop out when changing directions. Then you could power the controller from the KSI. I may sketch that up. This is in another post somewhere. With help of the OP, it turned out to be incredibly simple.

Looks like a good idea, and likely will extend the life of my new controller, thanks.
yurtle, I see you have 8 - 6V under the seat; were you able to squeeze in 2 under the drivers seat by moving the charging receptacle? It appears that may be possible space-wise.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The charge receptacle is not a problem. The FNR is. Don't do it. Do like everyone else does now, and buy six 8 volt batteries.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #24
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, thanks for the advice.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you use a reversing contactor and locate it near the motor, there might be room. IIRC, some people have relocated the controller also.

Most people that do a 8 X 6V 48V pack put seven under the seat and one in the bagwell or two in the bagwell and use the space on the driver's side for an 12V accessory battery or voltage reducer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Moving the controller/solenoid AND either modify the FNR OR using a reversing contactor, both sides can easily accept two additional batteries. I only did it, to have more amp-hours = pounds of lead. Did I really need it? Dunno. I ran the crap out of it for years, but ride it much less now. When I drove off and on all weekend with four of us, it probably helped keep the SoC up, which helps increase useful life.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #27
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If I go from 36V to 48V I will probably locate two 6V in the bagwell if it is structurally capable of handling the load, or strengthen it if not. Seems like less trouble than relocating the SW202 and/or controller.

Going to 48V from 36V would be to generate more torque and speed, but truth be known I have never had hills so long or steep (yes there are hills in Oklahoma ) or felt the need for much more speed with this series cart. Does what I need it to do around my three acres and the family land; add to that these batteries are only a year old and my last set lasted six years.

I could easily add a single 6V for 42V but not sure if the SR48500 and MZJ400 can work with this voltage.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicEngr View Post
If I go from 36V to 48V I will probably locate two 6V in the bagwell if it is structurally capable of handling the load, or strengthen it if not. Seems like less trouble than relocating the SW202 and/or controller.

Going to 48V from 36V would be to generate more torque and speed, but truth be known I have never had hills so long or steep (yes there are hills in Oklahoma ) or felt the need for much more speed with this series cart. Does what I need it to do around my three acres and the family land; add to that these batteries are only a year old and my last set lasted six years.

I could easily add a single 6V for 42V but not sure if the SR48500 and MZJ400 can work with this voltage.
Both will.

I can attest to there being some pretty good sized hills in Oklahoma.

I was in the 3rd Mob (Third Mobile Communications Group) at Tinker and had the pleasure of hauling some very heavy van full of communications stuff with under-powered trucks on the highways and byways all over the state, plus my father-in-law (at the time) owned a trucking company and on some weekends I hauled oilfield equipment behind a conventional cab Pete with a 425 Cat under the hood. Even that monster had to work a little on some of the hills.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #29
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicEngr View Post

That's probably what I'd do, then use six 8 volters at battery time. You'll end up with several throw away cables. You can double up 6 AWG cables and almost have the same ampacity as 2 AWG, if I remember correctly. Given the short lengths, you should be fine, if you still have your old ones. Easy to do 48 volts with one year old batteries and you'll be ready for six 8 volt batteries down the road. Probably need to adjust your max voltage, and get a good charger.

BTW, a battery under the driver's side is really easy, but either way, you'll need to figure out how to route cables to minimize the need for new ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1972.jpg (338.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1985.jpg (244.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #30
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Both will.

Good, thanks.

I can attest to there being some pretty good sized hills in Oklahoma.

Coming from someone in WV that is saying something!

I was in the 3rd Mob (Third Mobile Communications Group) at Tinker and had the pleasure of hauling some very heavy van full of communications stuff with under-powered trucks on the highways and byways all over the state, plus my father-in-law (at the time) owned a trucking company and on some weekends I hauled oilfield equipment behind a conventional cab Pete with a 425 Cat under the hood. Even that monster had to work a little on some of the hills.
Very Impressive. As a structural engineer that inspects storm damage, we get the pleasure of traversing those same highways and byways.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO