lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
Pupi305
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Street Legal Light kit Question

Good Morning!

Have a quick I installed the front and rear light kit on my golf cart and I was riding with my kids and all of a sudden it lights cut off and noticed it blew the fuse. I went ahead and replaced the fuse and it burnt out again. Any idea what could be causing this?

I wired it as followed:

Positive to one of the batteries and negative to the battery in the rear so it can be 12 volt. Did I wire it wrong? I also notice that the horn stops working when the batteries die out a bit you can hear it trying to honk but won’t unless I take my foot of the gas.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated help.
Pupi305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Street Legal Light kit Question

to me it sounds like a battery issue more then a wiring issue (its right but wrong). the draw that you are putting the batteries while moving is pulling all everything its got and not giving the horn enough power to work. I would guess your batteries are at least a few years old and showing there wear.

the reason i say that the wiring is right but still wrong is its right as far as getting 12 volt but wrong because you should not use two batteries to make 12 volt. You should user a reducer across the whole pack to get 12 volt. when you use only two batteries for lights and so on , they get drawn down further then the other four. when charging the four charge up quicker and start to boil away waiting for the other two to catch up .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Pupi305
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Batteries are brand new I bought the cart with bad batteries so i put them on less than a year ago. Do you have a recommendation on a reducer?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Pupi305
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
to me it sounds like a battery issue more then a wiring issue (its right but wrong). the draw that you are putting the batteries while moving is pulling all everything its got and not giving the horn enough power to work. I would guess your batteries are at least a few years old and showing there wear.

the reason i say that the wiring is right but still wrong is its right as far as getting 12 volt but wrong because you should not use two batteries to make 12 volt. You should user a reducer across the whole pack to get 12 volt. when you use only two batteries for lights and so on , they get drawn down further then the other four. when charging the four charge up quicker and start to boil away waiting for the other two to catch up .
What do you think of this one? I also thought I needed a voltage regulator.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It sounds like you’re asking about a specific reducer, but there’s no link.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

The link above is a great place for parts and has a lot of information.

It does sound like you might have a battery issue even though they are only a year old. How else do you explain them struggling to sound a horn? What is the pack voltage? You should also check it while the cart is under load. There are lots of examples of bad batteries straight off of the truck.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
Pupi305
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
It sounds like you’re asking about a specific reducer, but there’s no link.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

The link above is a great place for parts and has a lot of information.

It does sound like you might have a battery issue even though they are only a year old. How else do you explain them struggling to sound a horn? What is the pack voltage? You should also check it while the cart is under load. There are lots of examples of bad batteries straight off of the truck.
Thanks I will check them and go check that site. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It was the horn dying out that points to the batteries (or a battery) being weak. I wouldn’t think that would explain the fuse repeatedly blowing, but I’m not an expert. Which two batteries are you hooked to?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

this reducer works great : https://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html

you say the batteries are new(ish) how often are you charging and checking the water levels. I added a voltage chart to you can see where your batteries are at .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnnie_BChart.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO