lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade to 48 volt ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Marine batteries make horrible golf cart batteries. Just because the description says "deep cycle" sure doesn't mean they are suitable for golf carts. Those batteries for sure can't keep up with the demands of the rest of your upgraded system. Your stock controller was probably already beating on those batteries to their limits.
What he said. Sorry, my English was sputtering.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #12
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

I agree that 6v or 8v battery set up would be ideal but since I’m on a strict budget at the moment and given that I’m almost out of time before we go to church camp (where my wife will be using the golf cart) could I use 4 junky marine batteries (temporarily) and get better performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WifeSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeSlave View Post
I agree that 6v or 8v battery set up would be ideal but since I’m on a strict budget at the moment and given that I’m almost out of time before we go to church camp (where my wife will be using the golf cart) could I use 4 junky marine batteries (temporarily) and get better performance?

If you had a sig setup, I could answer you. But if your controller and solenoid can handle 48 volts, go for it. You won't hurt anything. Motors and FNRs only care about current/heat. The worst that "could" happen is right after charging, you may exceed the max voltage setup in the controller. That takes less than 5 minutes to adjust IF it needs to be adjusted.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #14
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If you had a sig setup, I could answer you. But if your controller and solenoid can handle 48 volts, go for it. You won't hurt anything. Motors and FNRs only care about current/heat. The worst that "could" happen is right after charging, you may exceed the max voltage setup in the controller. That takes less than 5 minutes to adjust IF it needs to be adjusted.

Ok awesome thank you for the advice!

WifeSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Marine batteries make horrible golf cart batteries. Just because the description says "deep cycle" sure doesn't mean they are suitable for golf carts. Those batteries for sure can't keep up with the demands of the rest of your upgraded system. Your stock controller was probably already beating on those batteries to their limits.
We used to buy them for trolling motors, and they worked better than cranking batteries for that. What, 12 AWG worth of amps?

Just a tad less than 2 AWG worth of amps, from an SR48500.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO