lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Hedger
Gone Wild

Default EZGO Series upgrade

Need some advice. I have a 98 series cart 36 volt. Obviously it struggles up hills and tops out on flat ground at about 10-12 MPH with new batteries. Just looking at something for around the house and maybe golf now and then.

Have a chance to buy a new D&D motor (gray option) for $300. what can I expect from it without upgrading anything else on the cart? Says I will get 16 MPH and 10% more torque. Figured someone here would know from experience. Thanks in advance
Hedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Series upgrade

the best thing you could do would call D&D and ask them what they would recommend to run that motor.

but I'm guessing they are going to recommend a larger controller, and since your where you have hills, I personally would go with a 500a, for starters the difference in cost between the 400 and 500 isn't but about $65. and if they suggest a bigger controller, I would get you a SD Solenoid, a HD F&R, 2ga. cables......this way when you are ready for new batteries, its time to make the jump to 48v.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke speaks the truth !!

Think long term and "whole package" when planning upgrades.
Nothing worse than having to "re-spend" when one step of an upgrade is not compatible to a future one.

Trust me, I know....
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Sideways
Gone Wild

I upgraded my 1994 Medalist series cart (early version of the 36v TXT) very close to what Sir Nuke has recommended above, I went with a 400 amp controller (Alltrax SR48400) and upgraded to 48volts.
I have to travel about a mile to and from the golf course and play at least 18 almost everyday. Our roads and golf course are moderately hilly.
I get 15-16mph using the original 36v motor & upgrades.
I would also recommend a reversing contactor to replace the F/R switch
Sir Nuke would know better but I believe another advantage to the upgrades is that you can keep your current 36v configuration and with some minor changes you can upgrade to 48v later if you cannot afford to do everything at once.
Either way you go there is a lot of knowledge on this site and I would not have attempted my rebuild if not for the help and sponsors here.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Hedger
Gone Wild

All good advice, Thanks
Hedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO