lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
dmax27
Getting Wild

Default Re: New coil over front shocks seem way too big. [pic]

Will the old shocks expand or were they frozen in place? The shocks may have been replaced at one time with the wrong shocks. Did you buy the new shocks to lift the cart higher in the front? We used load leveler shocks like you have to bring the front end of old cars up instead if putting in new springs.
dmax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax27 View Post
Will the old shocks expand or were they frozen in place? The shocks may have been replaced at one time with the wrong shocks. Did you buy the new shocks to lift the cart higher in the front? We used load leveler shocks like you have to bring the front end of old cars up instead if putting in new springs.
The old shocks will only expand if you pull them apart. I thought I was just buying replacement shocks. But these will definitely lift the front end up installing them as is. But to install them I will have to drop the axle down and try to bolt it back into place with the shocks in place.
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think you may have to do just what you said and pull the drop axle loose. Sounds like possibly something ( Age) has flatened out the springs.

There should be a little articulation not bottomed out.

BTW the book I have with a coil over for a TXT says it fits all Med/TXT from 94+ up
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think you may have to do just what you said and pull the drop axle loose. Sounds like possibly something ( Age) has flatened out the springs.

There should be a little articulation not bottomed out.

BTW the book I have with a coil over for a TXT says it fits all Med/TXT from 94+ up
I have a buddy's 2000 TXT here and his shock mounts on the lift and cart frame are easily over 2" farther apart than mine and his is under a load sitting on the ground. I just measured mine on jack stands and the mounts are only 11" apart. It would be even less if I put the cart on the ground and let the suspension take the load.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From 01-03 the front spring looks to be more straight ( slight C shape ) and prior 00 and after 04 it is more S shaped.
They do have 2 different factory shocks for those year with a shorter shock from the picture used in 94-01.5.
Then a longer shock in 01.5-05
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
From 01-03 the front spring looks to be more straight ( slight C shape ) and prior 00 and after 04 it is more S shaped.
Yeah, I can see the difference in the leaf springs between our two.

Quote:
They do have 2 different factory shocks for those year with a shorter shock from the picture used in 94-01.5.
Then a longer shock in 01.5-05
His shocks are definitely longer (well, maybe not longer but not completely compressed) than mine. If I drop the axle to install these, will the only problem be my front end might potentially sit a little higher?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yep
:)

A little travel is a good thing for you since the old setup didn't move.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Yep
:)

A little travel is a good thing for you since the old setup didn't move.
Ok, I just did a little testing. Here is the rundown... The mounting distance between my axle and my frame is 11" now for the front shocks. The new front shocks distance is 14.5" between the two rubber bushings/metal washer. I can only compress the shock about 1/2" and the best I can do to get the front axle to flex is 1.5". That leaves me an inch short. So even if I make these shocks fit then I fear they will have made my front end ridiculously stiff and harsh. Which won't be good.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

interesting?? how are the leafe springs mounted, can they be mounted on top of the axle????
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
sdcbh123
Not Yet Wild

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem. I have the exact same issue, in fact the shocks I bought look identical to the one in the picture you posted. Also the measurements you listed in post #18 are the same as what I see on my cart. I bought this cart used. It has an Allsports lift and had no shocks on it when I got it. I don't see anyway these shocks are going to fit.
sdcbh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO