lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #61
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 RXV rear end differential oil change advise / noise / grinding

Getting prepared to perform this procedure. This is a first time for me.

When putting the axle back in do i have to cover the axel rod, bearing, etc in any grease or oil?

How do i know where to put the oil seal and Bearing on the Axle Rod is there any markings?

DO you really just pour The 25oz of secret sauce down the axle and it will fall into the differential? (Hard time processing that)

Thanks
rob_c28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #62
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Back-to-front-
The seal spot has a ridge to stop it from going too far in (doesn't mean you don't need to pay attention).

The bearing has a location on the axle shaft that it must be seated firmly against, when you get the old bearing off, it's unmistakable.

The oil, yes, pour it in the axle tube, but pour Slowly because it has to run down the tube to get to the middle, and can "back up" if poured too quickly (it is thicker than pancake syrup after all).

I like to have the side I am pouring oil into one "click" higher on the jack stand than the other side to encourage the oil to go that direction. (Use proper judgement on jack stand placement if you try this).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #63
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Back-to-front-
The seal spot has a ridge to stop it from going too far in (doesn't mean you don't need to pay attention).

The bearing has a location on the axle shaft that it must be seated firmly against, when you get the old bearing off, it's unmistakable.

The oil, yes, pour it in the axle tube, but pour Slowly because it has to run down the tube to get to the middle, and can "back up" if poured too quickly (it is thicker than pancake syrup after all).

I like to have the side I am pouring oil into one "click" higher on the jack stand than the other side to encourage the oil to go that direction. (Use proper judgement on jack stand placement if you try this).

Thanks cgtech!!

When putting the new bearing and oil seal in place and into the axel tube, do I have rub grease, bearing oil, etc. on the bearings or oil seal?

Also, Should i put grease where the hub and the axel rod make contact? I ask because it doesn't look like any is there right now.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #64
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Should I use any cleaner to flush the differential after I drain it? If so, what should I use?

I brought 80w90 gear oil and posi-trac limited slip gear oil additive. Plan to do 23oz of oil and 4 oz of the additive in the differential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #65
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would say let it drip-dry, then clean up the cover for a successful reseal. Smear a little grease on the axle shaft seal, and use grease or anti-seize on the splines, just paint on a good thin layer that coats the splines thoroughly. The anti-seize already has a paint brush attached inside the lid, and is a good thing to have around. Bearings must be the sealed type, and require no additional grease.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #66
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

I'm going to be installing a limited slip differential out of an RXV into my Medalist. This is the gear oil I'm going to use. It already contains limited sip additive.
https://www.pepboys.com/royal-purple...472?quantity=1
I know the Medalist/txt rear end only calls for 10 ounces, but the RXV calls for 25 ounces. I'm guessing I should use 25 ounces, unless the cover on the RXV is different.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #67
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

So I got the axle out and the 2 snap rings. It now seems like the bearing is stuck on the axle. Any ideas how I can get it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #68
mohowardcg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

New member here, following this thread cause I've got the noise also. Gearing up to give it a go. Thanks to all who've contributed info here. Very helpful.
mohowardcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #69
Johnv 410
Not Yet Wild

Question - My 09 RXV is making a whining noise during acceleration and when slowing down. There are no clunking noises or anything of such other than the whining noise. It sounds like it speeds up as you go fast and slows down as you slow. Would you think its the rear end (Bearings, Input shaft) or the motor it's self? My local EZGO said its probably the rear? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Johnv 410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #70
Korbee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello,

Newby here but wanted to share my experience on rear diff fluid change on 2010 rxv.

I pulled the pan, cleaned it out , wire brushed pan and pumpkin, reinstalled with black permatex, hand tighten at first, then 1 hour later with 20ftlbs of torque.. 22 hours later I pulled the whole vent tube from the rear axle, inserted the hand pump hose I bought from oreillys to fit quarts and 32 ounce jugs, believe its 1/4" clear hose, white hand pump. Fit in the vent hole perfectly, filled the axle with 24 oz off 85w 140, then pulled hose and put in 3 oz of additive, reinstalled vent plug, all done in 5-6 minutes. Not sure where the problems were taking 30 minutes to fill from vent??? Just though I'd share.
Korbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO