lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Need help with 09 Fairplay

09 48v Fairplay with new batteries.

When depressing the pedal, it jerks hard like it wants to go full speed, then drops down to no more than a walking pace.

This just started in the last couple months, and I am hoping for an easy fix, so I can get rid of this sorry POS cart.

Sad part is that it's a street legal with title tags, insurance and all that, sine the beach town required that, but now I can go to a plain old cart and save the money for tags, insurance, annual inspection and all that.

Stupid golf cart insurance costs more than my car insurance....

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to help...
KTKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need help with 09 Fairplay

Look at the controller- green light should be flashing a code.

Its either going to be a speed sensor and or magnet, or solenoid
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Look at the controller- green light should be flashing a code.

Its either going to be a speed sensor and or magnet, or solenoid

Where would this green light be? Under the controller cover?

Talked to a guy at the local cart shop and he thinks it's the speed sensor. Now all I have to do is find it...LOL

Stupid Chinese cart. Can't get a diagram for it, and **** near can't get any info on it...
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Under controller cover your find it on the controller
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Under controller cover your find it on the controller

Thanks,

I get back to the beach I'll look to see what I can find....
Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Speed sensor was bad...

Cart runs faster than it ever has with the fix.

Life IS good once again.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Virjose
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTKelly View Post
Speed sensor was bad...

Cart runs faster than it ever has with the fix.

Life IS good once again.
@KTKelly, I think I am having the exact same issues in a 2011 FairPlay six seater 48V. Have had it for a month with new batteries and it has worked flawlessly. Yesterday I was driving down with the kids and had to stop to check on something that we thought had fallen from the back. Pulled over, put the cart on parking brake while leaving it on, got back in the cart and pressed accelerator to release the parking brake and got going fine for about 20ft, after that the cart hesitated and started going super slow. Was able to get back home and started checking all connections, nothing seems obvious. Noticed though that when I turn off and turn back on from time to time it will start at regular speed, no issues, and then it will kick into the slow mode. Reverse seems to work OK but going forward is slow.

Another random thing I noticed (could've been bad since last time I checked a week ago or so) is that the brake lights no longer work when I press the brake pedal. Checked connections and it seems fine. Strange that all I did was put it in parking brake, get going again, and this started happening. Checked the "electronic footpedal" which I also notices was apparently replaced in 2016 as that is the date of manufacture of the part (Curtis EFP713-0502) and everything seems connected and tied down.

Thanks in advance for any insights as well as info on WHERE you found/bought the replacement speed sensor for your FairPlay cart as I can't find anything online!
Virjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Fairplay used two different controllers in their earlier years. first was a Kinetek controller and the USB programming interface was your only method of finding any fault codes stored. That stopped working when Windows XP, its last supported OS, stopped being supported. I never could get it running properly in Vista, 7 or 10, much less a VM running XP. So finding faults on kinitek is hard. Getting replacement controllers is next to impossible.

The Curtis SepEX is their later controller, with an LED as well as support for the Curtis 1311/1313 handheld programmers. These are much easier to diagnose.

Fairplay no longer exists today. They are now absorbed by Star EV, which can still supply a limited set of Fairplay exclusive parts, but not everything. Fairplay cars are like owning a DeLorean--once parts are gone, that's it.

Either way, what both the OP and the last commenter seem to be experiencing are speed sensor failures. Whether or not it's even possible to buy the sensor from Star, is anybody's guess.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Speed sensors are a common item and still available
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts