lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
flianbrian
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV doesn't run or move after splicing radio to key switch wiring

This is a customer's cart that has me stumped. It's a 2010 RXV with the Danaher controller.

Problem started when he tried to obtain power for his 12 volt stereo system by splicing into the wiring coming into and out of the key switch behind the dash (which is an obvious no no) He said it sparked and the cart hasn't run since so he dropped the cart off to me.

Upon initial inspection I noticed that the cart wasn't making all of the normal clicking/buzzing noises it should make during the power-up sequence after turning the key on and it wouldn't move by depressing the accelerator. It also would not release the park brake when flipped into tow mode with the ignition in the on position. The battery pack has well over 50 volts so I ruled out lack of battery power. I've also checked all battery for fluid level as well as posts for connection.

1) I replaced the motor brake just because it was quick and easy (and I had one in stock) just to take away that possibility but experienced no change.

2) I swapped the entire accelerator assembly with a known good cart which made no change on the bad cart but the good cart would no longer move.

3) I swapped the controller from the good cart onto the bad cart which made a difference. Now it makes most (if not all) of the clicking/buzzing noises that they normally make during power-up. It also sometimes releases the parking brake in tow mode, note: when it does release the parking brake, if you try to roll the cart, the brake is engaging and releasing sporadically. Also, when/if the brake releases in tow mode, if you immediately switch it to run, sometimes it will move forward/backward on its own power by depressing the accelerator as normal.

I now have the RXV Advanced trouble-shooting guide but thought I should run this past some of you guys before I get into it any further. Anymore ideas before I delve into testing every circuit?
flianbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV doesn't run or move after splicing radio to key switch wiring

Check the rotary switches on the brake and gas pedals.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Have you priced a new controller for him yet? Thats whats gonna happen. He made a $1100 boo-boo. BTW, for his future reference, keyswitch is 48v and NOTHING gets added to it. You can try unplugging the DC/DC convertor (if present), a bad one will make cart not run, but i am not very optimistic.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree with cgtech, the controller is shot, but since you already replaced the controller and it is still not working there are other problems. When he connected the wires to the key switch he more than likely shorted out other sensors/switches on the cart, on one cart I worked on after replacing the controller I found the rotary switches on the gas and brake pedals were no good. There is also a procedure to test the key switch. When you turn on the key does the solenoid kick in then right back out?
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
flianbrian
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatlock00 View Post
I agree with cgtech, the controller is shot, but since you already replaced the controller and it is still not working there are other problems. When he connected the wires to the key switch he more than likely shorted out other sensors/switches on the cart, on one cart I worked on after replacing the controller I found the rotary switches on the gas and brake pedals were no good. There is also a procedure to test the key switch. When you turn on the key does the solenoid kick in then right back out?
The solenoid kicks on after key is turned on but not sure if it kicks back out. I tried a new ignition switch (because we had one on the shelf) with no difference. Next to swap will be the brake rotary switch. I know testing these things before replacing would be ideal but time restraints haven't allowed it.

Thanks for the response guys. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

do you have access to a handheld diagnostic programmer?

otherwise you are just guessing.

Local ezgo dealer or friendly shop you can take cart to and scan?

PLEASE DO NOT SPLICE/MOD RXV WIRE HARNESS!!!!!!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
flianbrian
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
do you have access to a handheld diagnostic programmer?

otherwise you are just guessing.

Local ezgo dealer or friendly shop you can take cart to and scan?

PLEASE DO NOT SPLICE/MOD RXV WIRE HARNESS!!!!!!!!
Yes, sorry for the guessing but no handheld available. I've tried to find one to purchase and have on hand but they seem to be obsolete as E-Z-GO stopped using the Danaher controller in 2012.5 when they switched to the Curtis (E-Z-GO doesn't have any, I checked). I would love to buy one for the Danaher 2008-2011 RXV, when I ordered the controller from FSIP they informed me that they will be manufacturing a handheld unit specifically for the RXV which should hopefully be available mid-summer 2015.

**The final fix for this was it knocked out the controller and rotary switches for the brake and the accelerator pedals. That's one expensive stereo install!!! Thanks for the tips guys!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO