lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
palomba16
Getting Wild

Default 96 series cart wiring issue

All components are tested and working, but still only clicks. I've gone over several diagrams and still no luck. what am I missing here? New or rebuilt everything.
palomba16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 96 series cart wiring issue

If it clicks you have an issue in the high current set of wires, motor, controller or solenoid. Put your volt meter negative on the pack negative and start chasing the pack voltage around the high current wires until you find the bad point.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
palomba16
Getting Wild

sorry not real clear on how to do that. put the negative meter on the battery pack and the possibility to where? I just had the controller come back tested and it's working good. I also jumped motor and wheels spin and the solenoid is new.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Put F/R lever in Forward and connect the Black test lead to the B- terminal on the controller and connect the red test lead to the M- terminal on the controller.

Press the pedal just far enough for the solenoid to click and you should read full battery pack voltage (38.2V if batteries are fully charged.)

If you don't get full battery pack voltage, move the red test lead to the A1 terminal on the motor, then to the A2 terminal, then to the C terminal on the F/R switch, then to the B terminal on the F/R switch, then to the S1 terminal on the motor, then to the S2 terminal on the motor, then to the D terminal on the F/R switch, then to the A terminal on the F/R switch, then to the B+ terminal on the controller, then to the Controller side large terminal on the solenoid, then to the battery side large terminal on the solenoid and finally to the main B+ terminal on the battery pack.

Stop at the point where you find the battery pack voltage and the problem will be between there and the last place checked that didn't have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- No A2 -Hi-Current traced.JPG (57.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
palomba16
Getting Wild

I just tried the 1st step and a small spark came from the battery neg. I have a wiring issue and am affair I might cook the controller so I think I'll just wait and send it to a shop and except the outrageous bill.
thanks anyway
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You got a spark from a volt meter? Don't make me come up there !!
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Johnnie, i love your detailed procedure. The one thing i would like you to clear up, is if you need to keep stepping on the pedal during the entire procedure?

You mentioned stepping on the pedal until the solenoid first clicks, if at that time the first test isn't successful, and you start chasing with the positive probe, does the pedal still need to be pressed during the entire procedures, and also if it does need to be pressed, do you have to keep it at the same position or can you wedge it to the floor with a block of wood /etc?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The purpose of having the solenoid engaged is to send current through the solenoid mains from battery B+ to controller B+.
The solenoid should be engaged anytime the pedal is depress, whether that is a small amount or pushed to the floor.
CAUTION. Anytime you are testing a no go cart it must be up off the floor in the rear because it may start unexpectedly while testing which may cause body and property damage.
SO when positioning the pedal for testing you have to ask yourself - If it does start unexpectedly do I want a slow start or a full speed start?
If you are using a brick to hold the pedal down for testing put an appropriate amount of wood or ? under the pedal to avoid depressing the gas more than is needed to engage ( close) the solenoid
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
Johnnie, i love your detailed procedure. The one thing i would like you to clear up, is if you need to keep stepping on the pedal during the entire procedure?

You mentioned stepping on the pedal until the solenoid first clicks, if at that time the first test isn't successful, and you start chasing with the positive probe, does the pedal still need to be pressed during the entire procedures, and also if it does need to be pressed, do you have to keep it at the same position or can you wedge it to the floor with a block of wood /etc?
The solenoid contacts have to be closed when searching for the missing voltage in a series drive cart.

Connecting the test leads with alligator clips and then pushing the pedal to make the solenoid click would be safer than wedging the pedal down.

Another safer way is to use a jumper wire to connect the battery pack's main positive terminal to the coil terminal with the positive wires on it so the solenoid stays energized. That way the controller is getting a pedal up signal from the ITS and the cart won't take off very fast, or at all, if the problem unexpectedly fixes itself. Of course, the cart's rear wheels ought to be off the ground and on jackstands to prevent the half ton cart from moving.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
palomba16
Getting Wild

No not from the meter, but at the neg post once pedal is pushed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO