lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Ez go converted to 48v using club car charger

I just converted my ez go pds to 48v. I have a club car 48v charger with the round plug. My plan was to just put a club car receptacle on my ez go cart and use the club car 48v charger. I have read both that you can do this and that you can't. So, can you? Is there an easier/ better/cheaper way to accomplish this? An adapter maybe?
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Ez go converted to 48v using club car charger

The Clubcar charger is a "dumb charger" (a box with a transformer, a 110v relay, and a diode bridge, no control board), getting all its directions from the OBC on the cart. It wont even turn on if you just take the charge port from the clubcar. The OBC is an "energy counting device", thats how it determines when and how much to charge the batteries. In my opinion, the OBC is a troublesome device, and you would be better off with a "smart charger" or "semi-smart charger" that does its own job of turning on and off when plugged into the cart. It could be done if you took the OBC from the clubcar and put it on your cart, but why invite those gremlins in?(cant put OBC inside the charger, because if it never counts any energy "going out" it wont turn on to put energy back in). Sell your charger & put the money towards a DPI charger, it has features that no OBC could match.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
georgia088
Gone Wild

So if I put a receptacle in my ez go and plugged club car charger up to it, it would just do nothing? Because the ez go doesn't have an obc. Am I understanding this correctly?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
georgia088
Gone Wild

Would a 48v Yamaha charger work?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Correct, the Clubcar charger would do nothing. A yamaha 48v charger would work just fine. Anyone elses charger would work better than a Clubcar charger for what you are trying to do. Oh yeah, almost forgot, its almost always easier to change the handle/cord on the charger cord to match the plug on the cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
georgia088
Gone Wild

Well I have a Yamaha charger, but it is not mine and I will have to return it sooner than later. I would like to get the club car to work on mine.
Is there a work around or bypass of the cc obc?
Thanks for all of your help.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia088 View Post
Well I have a Yamaha charger, but it is not mine and I will have to return it sooner than later. I would like to get the club car to work on mine.
Is there a work around or bypass of the cc obc?
Thanks for all of your help.

There is some type of modification available for these chargers. I haven't tried it, but as I understand it it involves a relay and a timer so that the charger will run. My question would be does this have a three stage algorithm order the just run at one setting? I don't know… you have to do some more research
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Perhaps you may need to understand the logic just a bit more. The OBC on the Club Car controls charging, not the Club Car charger. When you plug the Club Car charger into the cart the OBC tells the charger how much and for how long to charge. As your EZ Go doesn't have an OBC then there is no way for the Club Car charger to know to even start charging that cart. Other than taking the OBC out of the Club Car and installing it on your EZ Go I can't fathom any other way of getting that charger work without doing some fairly exotic alterations to the Club Car charger itself.

Incidentally, I too just upgraded my EZ Go from 36v - 48v and I too have a 48v Club Car charger. Knowing that Club Car set up I never even considered sharing the charger as it really isn't possible. I ended up buying a new 48v charger which controls all aspects of a charge with no need for the OBC.

What's crazy is that a new charger CAN be used on the Club Car if the OBC is bypassed. If you go this route you can sell your CC charger and pretty much recoup the cost of the new one. I'll probably hang on to mine though.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
georgia088
Gone Wild

So what charger would yall recommend? I don't really want to spend a fortune though.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Accusense DPI Charger
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO