lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile 1993 Marathon EZGO runs slow to creep

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just bought a new to us 1993 EZGO yesterday. Know the previous owner & it has well maintained. Lifted. The batteries are five years old. It has been garage kept and always charged.
It is soooo slow. It is creeping up inclines & even on level paved road it seems to slow down, speed up, even with the pedal to the floor. (w/just me in it and I'm not that heavy) I can't imagine how it will be with hubby, gson, & our pig PiggySu.
Please bear with me as I am new to forum posting as well. My husband will be doing the work/testing and I will be the secretary and gopher. He has worked on a million Harley's but this is the first cart. If someone or many someone's can point us at what to check we would be thankful.
It does not have to fly, but it has to get us from point A to B in campgrounds and not get us killed when crossing roads where they are allowed on the hwy. Also, feel free to reign me in when posting if I'm not on track, politely please.
Thanks, Deb
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1993 Marathon EZGO runs slow to creep

This sounds like a loss of battery power. At 5 years of age, the batteries would be the first suspect to check. You need to have them tested. There are some knowledgeable people on here that can give you the numbers you need to know for good battery service, and how to get them.

The common automotive battery tester does not really do a good job of testing golf car type deep cycle batteries. If the batteries are bad then there are a lot of options and prices out there also. There are some battery comparison charts by brand and type available on this forum also. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

Could be be allot of things. First, I might suggest checking water in the batteries. Open the caps and make sure you can't see any grids in there above the waterline. If so, add distilled water. Than charge it overnight. After removing the charger for a few hours, check voltage with a multimeter. Do you know how old the batteries are?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Gene! Whoo my first reply! Of course batteries were our first thought. Frank had even read about a battery recovery/restore kit. Liquid and powder kit, suppose to have 95-98% success rate of rejuvenating weak ones or bringing the dead ones to life!! To good to be true I bet.......
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The batteries are five years old. I feel quite sure they have been well maintained, the previous owner is a stickler for maintained. :)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart is a decent prospect for your use. It's designed top speed is 12mph. Speed loss on hills is normal as the motor slows to an rpm where it can make more torque to match the load. The cart looks original. There are upgrades available which allow the motor access to more amperage. And running on more voltage is another option for the old cart assuming the motor is in good condition.
Batteries are probably going to be your first investment. 5 yrs is the average useful life of a pack. Of course there are exceptions. Test the pack by fully charging. Let the pack sit idle for 12-24hours and record the standing voltage. Connect the meter to the pack (or install an in dash digital meter) and head straight for that big hill. Record the lowest reading you see when the cart is struggling with the hill. Post those reading here.

PS. do not buy 6 new 6v batteries until you have researched 48v operation.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, will do the test. 12 is pretty slow. If we could get just maybe 15 it would be great. The fast/slow on the level worries me too. Have to move livestock today but will research the 48v option before pulling the trigger on new batteries. Shew, I was hoping not to do that right away... :( I've been reading a lot, a potentiometer sounds interesting be great if were that simple.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

48v (6/8v batteries) will get you 33% more speed and torque or 15-16 mph. However, the drive system controller, solenoid, and charger will have to be upgraded. I suspect you are ready for batteries and now would be the time to make this change.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What would I upgrade the drive system controller, solenoid and charger to, so I can get an idea of cost? Also, are you talking about this charger?IMG_9390.JPG
Old 05-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yep you need a new charger.

Controller/solenoid will be $400-500 ish (depending on choice )
New wires $200 ish
New DPI charger $300ish.

Call scottyb he has great deals and pretty much best prices.

Once you get more torque not only will you get more speed from the fresh batteries but the larger tires will already give you a higher top speed cause they make your overall drive gears taller. But now your batteries are so bad and the large tires have you at a torque loss right now you probably can't reach full motor rpm
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO