lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
flee
Not Yet Wild

Default 48 Volt Battery ???

What are the pros and cons of running 8 6volt batteries or 6 8volt batteries.

I would assume the 8 6volts would give you more run time. The only disadvantage I can see is having to buy more batteries. I am currently upgrading from 36 volt to 48 volt.

Thank
Foster
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 48 Volt Battery ???

More run time - but more weight. Also hard to fit on some carts. Unless you need lots of extra range, I would go with 6 x 8V.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed. Here is how the weight stacks up :
8 x 64 = 512 pounds
6 x 57 = 342
difference is 170 pounds or 20% of the total cart weight. That is enough to effect the power to weight ratio significantly.
48v is going to give a bout 10% longer run-time even with 6/8v so why saddle the cart with more batteries, longer cables, and more expense?

That is my conclusion based upon helping hundreds of people convert to 48v.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

The eight volt battery is an odd ball that is not used anywhere else. I like the six volt battery's because you can charge them two at a time with a standard car charger. Also, you can jump start any twelve volt operated engine. I have done this so many times that I plan to install a high current port on my cart that I can plug jumper cables in.

The only down side I have is the extra weight behind the rear wheels. My cart can pop a wheely unintentionally. My cart has a upgraded motor and controller. I also installed a limited slip. But I don't think power is the main cause of front rising. I think allot of it is weight distribution.

Popping a wheely is cool at first, but the novelty wares off. I'm not saying the front jumps up a foot like some of the pics you see on here. If I'm are parked in front of something and I turn the wheels, I must be very careful not to step on the pedal too fast because it will go straight while the tires are an inch off the ground. Sometimes it will travel two feet straight without even trying.

I would recumend (if you go this way) to install one of the batteries in the space under the driver's seat. I would put the other battery in the well as close to the axle as possible. I put my "on board" charger under the driver's seat. At this point, I'm thinking of moving it to the front. Maybe I can even move the controller/solenoid above the motor.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most members need performance over a yard goat. You can put 16v to anything 12v that needs a jump.
8/6v will fit up front with a little work but still..... what I said earlier about hundreds and hundreds of carts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5161web.jpg (683.2 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
8 x 64 = 512 pounds
6 x 57 = 342
difference is 170 pounds or 20% of the total cart weight. That is enough to effect the power to weight ratio significantly.
48v is going to give a bout 10% longer run-time even with 6/8v so why saddle the cart with more batteries, longer cables, and more expense?

I most assuredly agree in concept, but question the numbers.

A 57 pound 8V battery would only have about 150AH, so it would be sub-par in the run-time (range) department.
The typical 8V battery used (T-875) in a 6 x 8V 48V pack has about 170AH and weighs about 63 pounds while the typical 6V battery used (T-105) has 225AH and weighs about 62 pounds.

8 x 62 = 496
6 x 63 = 378
Difference = 118

A typical TXT cart weighs 550 pounds without batteries, so it would weigh 1046 with a 8x6V pack and 928 pounds with a 6x8V pack, or about a 12% difference in total cart weight.

Mathematically, the 8x6V (225AH) 48V pack will have about 32% greater range than a 6x8V (170AH) 48V pack, but the actual difference will be less due to the 12% greater cart weight.

Making matters even more complex, higher and lesser AH batteries can be used to build either the 8x6V and 6x8V battery packs that produce 48V.

In a nutshell, going to 48V is easier to decide than how to get there.

----------
FWIW: If I go from 42V to 48V, it'll be 6x8V and any cars I jump start with my cart will get 16V.

-----------
added:
Just notice those are t-145 batteries in the 8x6V under the seat battery pack.
That is about the ultimate long range setup.

A 3Sx2Px12V is the only thing with longer range that I know of, unless you go to Lithium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Golf Cart Battery specs.jpg (299.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 05-18-2016 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't consider the "you can charge two of them with a 12V charger" a significant plus. You should first of all never have to do that and second, you can charge an 8V with a 12V charger enough to get it going with the cart's charger. If you need extra range, then 8 X 6 will get you that but at a cost of $$ and weight. Also, in some carts there just isn't room under the seat for 8 X 6V.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
8 x 64 = 512 pounds
6 x 57 = 342

I'm not sure where you got your numbers or your math. I went to the Trojan website.

8 X 62 = 496 (T105)

6 X 63 = 378 (T875)

Difference is only 118 lbs. About 10% of 36V cart with a flip seat.
On the other hand the kWh goes up about 24%.
Maybe you should convert a few more carts.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

D@m Johnnie, beat me typing again. LOL
Old 05-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I don't consider the "you can charge two of them with a 12V charger" a significant plus. You should first of all never have to do that
You should never have a charger break down. (I have had two chargers Break down at the same time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
and second, you can charge an 8V with a 12V charger enough to get it going with the cart's charger.
I don't think that is good for the batteries, even if you had a working charger. (See above)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO