lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Failed Brake Test

Locking the brakes on a cart was part of the fun when playing golf as a younger kid!
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #22
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Why not, if you own it you know you should not lock the brakes?

What about cousin Larry? Oh, and my wife, lol!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #23
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Locking the brakes on a cart was part of the fun when playing golf as a younger kid!
It still is! Except in an RXV.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
Helirich
Gone Wild

When I drove my sons RXV, first thing I did is lock the brakes at high speed. I don't think I could be classified as a kid. (My wife might disagree)

So when I did that, it wasn't using the regen? That was the whole reason I did it. (Test the regen) Should I tell my son not to lock the brakes?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #25
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is how I understand it: The RXV has no conventional wheel brakes. All braking is done by the motor (regen) except for parking (hill brake). That is done by a disc type (sort of) brake on the end of the motor.
If you "slam" on the brakes the cart assumes and emergency and engages the parking brake and the rear wheels lock. It was not designed to do this on a regular basis and if you do it often the brake will fail and the cart will shut itself off until the brake is repaired and it senses an operational parking brake during POST.

I have seen anecdotal evidence that the parking brake doesn't engage until the motor drops below a certain RPM during an emergency stop. I don't know what RPM that is or if this is even true.

Keep in mind that these are GOLF carts. The RXV has what amounts to an automatic parking brake. This makes a lot of sense for a golfer. Whenever the cart stops it sets the parking brake without action by the driver and you don't have to release the brake to go again. Just step on the gas. But if you want to lock up the wheels under braking on a regular basis get a different cart.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #26
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Should I tell my son not to lock the brakes?
Yes. I have been given permission at work to make up a label for the windshields of our two RXV carts explaining the brake issue. Three motor brakes since May first.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #27
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
This is how I understand it: The RXV has no conventional wheel brakes. All braking is done by the motor (regen) except for parking (hill brake). That is done by a disc type (sort of) brake on the end of the motor.
If you "slam" on the brakes the cart assumes and emergency and engages the parking brake and the rear wheels lock. It was not designed to do this on a regular basis and if you do it often the brake will fail and the cart will shut itself off until the brake is repaired and it senses an operational parking brake during POST.

I have seen anecdotal evidence that the parking brake doesn't engage until the motor drops below a certain RPM during an emergency stop. I don't know what RPM that is or if this is even true.

Keep in mind that these are GOLF carts. The RXV has what amounts to an automatic parking brake. This makes a lot of sense for a golfer. Whenever the cart stops it sets the parking brake without action by the driver and you don't have to release the brake to go again. Just step on the gas. But if you want to lock up the wheels under braking on a regular basis get a different cart.

Mostly Correct......

On the brake pedal, there are 2 electrical components.
one is a position sensor, the other is a normally closed switch.
The switch is in direct line with the "parking/emergency" brake.
This will allow operator to remove power from (lock) the brake at any time
including when cart is in tow.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO