lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
zman306
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lowest voltage and you can still roll

Hey all. On an 07 EZGO Sepex, what is the lowest voltage the batteries can be at and you could still move?
Trying to resolve a dispute.

Thanks in advance.
Scott
zman306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lowest voltage and you can still roll

You do know that volts plus amps equal power. And if you add volts you need less amps. And if you subtract voltage you have to add amperage to make the power needed to move the cart...... well you probably also know that when you get to very low voltage the amperage skyrockets and this excessive amp draw cannot be utilized effectively which results in a bunch of heat being produced in both the motor and controller with the controller burning up first.......... now -- what's your question?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
now -- what's your question?
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you
strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
DadOfTwo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you

According to Douglas Adams, an Antigravity device.
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm thinking this may be an argument between buddies?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #6
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You do know that volts plus amps equal power. And if you add volts you need less amps. And if you subtract voltage you have to add amperage to make the power needed to move the cart...... well you probably also know that when you get to very low voltage the amperage skyrockets and this excessive amp draw cannot be utilized effectively which results in a bunch of heat being produced in both the motor and controller with the controller burning up first.......... now -- what's your question?
While your first "equation" is abit of a joke, your explaination is somewhat credible. I think his question is not hypothetical, but more of "What is the lowest voltage someone has seen actually move the cart"?

The problem with that question is what cart are we talking about? Specifically, what drive system, what controller, what gears, what tires? The other problem is when are you taking the measurement. I have had a Marithon measure 35 volts at rest, but not move. I'll bet it wasn't 35 when I steped on the pedal. (I didn't have a meter on it while pushing the pedal.)

Some carts will not even try to move because of under voltage protection while others will happily smoke their controller moving a little. I would sapose a resistor cart would be the best cart for low voltage moving.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

While this question may have a mathematical answer given a specific set of X Y Z factors it is equal to asking how long can you run a water cooled engine without water.

My 48v industrial cart got ignored and charge dropped to where it had to be pushed with the pedal down to move. I think I saw 32 or 34v on the dash meter under load. That was about 1.42v per cell. Assuming that's a good # a 36v pack would move the stock cart at 25.56v under load but, i would not recommend it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post

um-i think you get a pickle.... or just a greasy cat....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO