lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cost of upgrades 2007 Ez-Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The XCT controller is a sealed unit and is designed to operate without a cover that impedes airflow.

If you drive the cart very hard, you will probably want to get the optional fan.
Thanks guys. It almost wants to pop up on back tires when you punch it.....crazy difference between the stock and this new controller.

I will get the fan.
bohartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #12
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Hey Experts. The new setup is crazy fast on flat paved surfaces (24-25mph) and almost too fast going down hills....but is still a little sluggish uphills.

Is there anyway to adjust the controller?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohartjr View Post
Hey Experts. The new setup is crazy fast on flat paved surfaces (24-25mph) and almost too fast going down hills....but is still a little sluggish uphills.

Is there anyway to adjust the controller?

Thanks
Download the Toolkit software and manuals from the Alltrax website: http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_XCT.html

Plug a laptop into the XCT's USB port and you can adjust all the user accessible parameters. Be sure to save your existing settings, so you can revert back to them if needed.

Do screen captures of the various toolkit screens and post them here, so we can see what the setting are and advise if any changes are needed or would be beneficial.

------------

With little exception, all electric carts slow down some going uphill due to the laws of physics. (The few exceptions still comply with the laws of physics, the motor is simply being RPM limited to less than it could reach if max available voltage was still being applied to it after the RPM limit is reached.)

Running stock height tires and gears, a cart with a stock PDS motor and a 36V battery pack will slow several MPH going up a steep hill. If the tires are taller than stock (over 18" tall), it will slow even more going uphill.

---------------

In the picture of the controller installation you posted, it appears that the B- cable is thinner than the B+ cable to the solenoid, which appears to be an original EZGO cable and that would make it nearly 10 years old. I might be wrong, but the B- cable might be 6Ga and all ten high current cables ought to be 4Ga or thicker.

If any of the high current cables or cable ends feel more than slightly warm (>10°F above ambient), it needs to be replaced.

-------------

You mentioned the cart is almost too fast going down hill. A stock PDS motor ought to be RPM limited to 6000RPM (25.8 MPH on 18" tires) or 6500RPM (28.0 MPH on 18" tires), so if your cart goes much faster than that downhill, the motor RPM limit in the XCT is set too high or the regen braking is set too low.

-------------

Increasing the battery pack to 42V or 48V will improve uphill performance.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Download the Toolkit software and manuals from the Alltrax website: http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_XCT.html

Plug a laptop into the XCT's USB port and you can adjust all the user accessible parameters. Be sure to save your existing settings, so you can revert back to them if needed.

Do screen captures of the various toolkit screens and post them here, so we can see what the setting are and advise if any changes are needed or would be beneficial.

------------

With little exception, all electric carts slow down some going uphill due to the laws of physics. (The few exceptions still comply with the laws of physics, the motor is simply being RPM limited to less than it could reach if max available voltage was still being applied to it after the RPM limit is reached.)

Running stock height tires and gears, a cart with a stock PDS motor and a 36V battery pack will slow several MPH going up a steep hill. If the tires are taller than stock (over 18" tall), it will slow even more going uphill.

---------------

In the picture of the controller installation you posted, it appears that the B- cable is thinner than the B+ cable to the solenoid, which appears to be an original EZGO cable and that would make it nearly 10 years old. I might be wrong, but the B- cable might be 6Ga and all ten high current cables ought to be 4Ga or thicker.

If any of the high current cables or cable ends feel more than slightly warm (>10°F above ambient), it needs to be replaced.

-------------

You mentioned the cart is almost too fast going down hill. A stock PDS motor ought to be RPM limited to 6000RPM (25.8 MPH on 18" tires) or 6500RPM (28.0 MPH on 18" tires), so if your cart goes much faster than that downhill, the motor RPM limit in the XCT is set too high or the regen braking is set too low.

-------------

Increasing the battery pack to 42V or 48V will improve uphill performance.

Thanks Johnnie. I will look in to upgrading the cable wires.

I do believe the RPM limit is set too high. My neighborhood has some major hills but I have hit 30mph on downhill sections.

Drove the cart for about 15 mins earlier and a couple of battery cables were for sure 10 degrees above ambient.

The cart slows to about 14mph on hills and less than that on the steeper hills.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Also my tires are 22 inches tall. So I am sure this is killing me hills with two adults and two young kids on the cart.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 22" tall tires changes things considerably. They increase the cart's speed vs motor RPM by about 22% and reduce the amount of torque delivered where rubber meets road by about 18%, so at 25 MPH the cart is slower on level ground than it could be without over-revving the motor and slows more going uphill than it would with stock height tires with the same number/weight of passengers.

My guess is the motor RPM limit in the XCT is set to about 6000 RPM, which would be 31.6 MPH if a stock PDS motor could reach that RPM when powered by a 36V battery pack in perfect condition and fed through 2Ga high current cables perfect condition. At best, a stock PDS motor turning stock height tire will spin at about 5600 RPM at 36V, but won't spin that fast with taller tires due to the torque loss created by changing the final drive ratio.

The high current cables getting hot means that some of the electrical energy from the battery pack is being converted to heat in the cables instead of being converted to torque in the motor, so installing good cables will help on the hills some, but probably won't increase top speed on level ground much, if any.

If you are concerned about the cart going too fast downhill (or on level ground) you can set the max RPM in the XCT to a lower value. Setting it to 4800 RPM will limit cart speed to about 25 MPH.

To get better performance going uphills with wife and kids onboard, you can up the battery pack voltage to 42V by adding a seventh battery in the space in front of the drivers side wheel well. The solenoid in the picture you posted appears to be a MZJ-400m which works at 36V, 42V and 48V, so you'll probably only need to buy a 42V charger in addition to the battery(s).

Going to 42V ups the torque by 17% throughout the motor's RPM range, so it won't slow as much going uphill.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #17
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The 22" tall tires changes things considerably. They increase the cart's speed vs motor RPM by about 22% and reduce the amount of torque delivered where rubber meets road by about 18%, so at 25 MPH the cart is slower on level ground than it could be without over-revving the motor and slows more going uphill than it would with stock height tires with the same number/weight of passengers.

My guess is the motor RPM limit in the XCT is set to about 6000 RPM, which would be 31.6 MPH if a stock PDS motor could reach that RPM when powered by a 36V battery pack in perfect condition and fed through 2Ga high current cables perfect condition. At best, a stock PDS motor turning stock height tire will spin at about 5600 RPM at 36V, but won't spin that fast with taller tires due to the torque loss created by changing the final drive ratio.

The high current cables getting hot means that some of the electrical energy from the battery pack is being converted to heat in the cables instead of being converted to torque in the motor, so installing good cables will help on the hills some, but probably won't increase top speed on level ground much, if any.

If you are concerned about the cart going too fast downhill (or on level ground) you can set the max RPM in the XCT to a lower value. Setting it to 4800 RPM will limit cart speed to about 25 MPH.

To get better performance going uphills with wife and kids onboard, you can up the battery pack voltage to 42V by adding a seventh battery in the space in front of the drivers side wheel well. The solenoid in the picture you posted appears to be a MZJ-400m which works at 36V, 42V and 48V, so you'll probably only need to buy a 42V charger in addition to the battery(s).

Going to 42V ups the torque by 17% throughout the motor's RPM range, so it won't slow as much going uphill.
thanks Johnnie. You are a huge help. Where do you recommend I get the higher quality cables?

You are correct on the solenoid.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohartjr View Post
Where do you recommend I get the higher quality cables?
there is only one place in town...... http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cable-sets.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
there is only one place in town...... http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cable-sets.html
thats not true, there are plenty of places where you could buy some "upgrade cables", they might be crap tho. or you could "get your hands dirty" & make some (most people arent ready for that). i have seen some real sloppy "upgrade cable sets" out there. nivel comes to mind, they do solder & heatshrink them, but the heatshrink might cover the hole where the battery connects. i have never personally used ScottyB's cables, but based on what i have read about them, i would suggest them to anyone who needed some (who didnt do business locally with me ).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

gctech - pic a cart, send me a message
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO