lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Egad, Darned Spindle Zerk Fitting Fell Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
why on earth are you awake and on the forums at 6 in the morning??
why?? cause I get to work at 5....no one else is here....and it gives me time to run the board without interruption for an hour or two! LOL
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #12
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all for the information on the spindles.
They will remain like they are.

Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #13
Sid007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey, you guys, I agree with every last one of your "off-topic" opinions and positions, especially regarding the pitiful state of U.S. politics. There certainly NO Lincolns or Roosevelts anymore.

However, to return to the main thrust of this thread: Sooooo, I will need to disassemble the front end -- I would assume that such disassembly will blow my steering alignment, requiring an instrument realignment at a shop. On the other hand, a cart might not (I hope) demand precise alignment as automobiles require. Please hit me with your greater experience and resulting thoughts on this. For instance, I'm hopeful that wheel alignment won't be adversely affected unless I were to alter the tie rod joints during disassembly. And, also, are any special tools, such as bearing presses, needed to disassemble/reassemble the spindles? Much obliged, in advance.
Sid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid007 View Post
However, to return to the main thrust of this thread: Sooooo, I will need to disassemble the front end -- I would assume that such disassembly will blow my steering alignment, requiring an instrument realignment at a shop. On the other hand, a cart might not (I hope) demand precise alignment as automobiles require. Please hit me with your greater experience and resulting thoughts on this. For instance, I'm hopeful that wheel alignment won't be adversely affected unless I were to alter the tie rod joints during disassembly. And, also, are any special tools, such as bearing presses, needed to disassemble/reassemble the spindles? Much obliged, in advance.
I am assuming that you are only tapping the hole where the serk popped out to add a threaded zerk.

Based on that, if you ONLY remove the king pin bolt, run the tap and reinstall the king pin bolt, your alignment should not be effected at all.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #15
Sid007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I am assuming that you are only tapping the hole where the serk popped out to add a threaded zerk.

Based on that, if you ONLY remove the king pin bolt, run the tap and reinstall the king pin bolt, your alignment should not be effected at all.
(I somehow lost track of this thread, rabbitreborn, and just ran into it. Sorry for the delay in responding. Here's what I had written in answer to you, but never posted )

Your words are music to my ears, rabbitreborn. I may be back to ask a question, or two, about disassembly procedure after studying the situation under there. For instance, I'll go ahead now and ask this: are any special tools needed other than the tap and a clean rag to clean out the kingpin bore?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
Sid007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The new style spindles are designed to be greaseless and I personally would leave them that way. They have been in carts for about 15 years now and I have yet to see a mass influx of them needing replacement. In fact, I can't think of a single one that I have replaced due to wear and tear. Accidents, yes..... Wear, no.......
Rabbitreborn, my TXT is a 2006 model and has zerks on both the spindles and ball joints. I take it that my cart is a throwback that somehow missed the switch to greaseless. However, my cart was customized by the dealer with a Jake's suspension kit prior to purchase (it's the way I first saw it on the showroom floor). That certainly would answer why the spindles have zerks, but, the question remains: Were the steering joints changed out at the same time? I can't see why this would be so, but, guess I'll never know. Any thoughts?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jakes Lift kits almost all come with grease fittings in the spindles, but I am at a loss as to why the ball joints on a 2006 would have been changed to ones that require greasing. The only grease spot on a 2006 should have been the ball joint for the steering rack. The tie rod that goes from spindle to spindle should have greaseless ball joints on it.

Any way you could post a pic of the passenger side spindle and ball joints?

As for special tools, if all you are doing is tapping the spindle for the grease fitting, then all you should need is the socket to remove the wheel, a 3/4 inch wrench and a 3/4 inch socket for the spindle bolt and the appropriate size tap for the zerk fitting.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO