lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery help-Trojan vs Deka

My Trojan 6v Batts are 9years old and are just starting to go bad I may get another 2 or 3 months out of them. I probably use the cart 5 out of 7 days a week for about an hour or 2.
Trojans have quite a track record !
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Battery help-Trojan vs Deka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF Titus View Post
Dont forget warranty. T875 is 18 month, what is deka?

Sams club website lists the deka duracells as 1 yr free replacement.

And definitely Trojan are good but they are not the only good battery. For the price difference in my area, I'll prolly go Duracell deka this time...

Orangeman whatever you decide keep us posted pls.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #13
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Sams club website lists the deka duracells as 1 yr free replacement.

And definitely Trojan are good but they are not the only good battery. For the price difference in my area, I'll prolly go Duracell deka this time...

Orangeman whatever you decide keep us posted pls.
I will. I've been reading some stuff online and starting to get a better understanding from that along with the help from the replies. However, I still don't understand why the Trojan is rated higher in a couple of metrics, yet the Deka in others. I'm going to call the battery guy back and confirm exactly which deka he was talking about. I know he said the Dekas were a bit cheaper, but it wasn't enough to sway anything; he actually liked them better.

I know one thing for sure. Since I've started reading this forum, I realized how lame I had been in the past about taking care of my pack. Whatever I decide to do this time I'm sure I'll be way better off just by maintaining them properly.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
FF Titus
Gone Wild

I get cars with trojans in alot. This month I've had 3 cars come in with 8+ year old batteries that discharged fairly well for their age. I have 2017 gas vehicles with deka batts that were stone dead last week in the cold.

Whichever you choose, good luck!
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
I will. I've been reading some stuff online and starting to get a better understanding from that along with the help from the replies. However, I still don't understand why the Trojan is rated higher in a couple of metrics, yet the Deka in others. I'm going to call the battery guy back and confirm exactly which deka he was talking about. I know he said the Dekas were a bit cheaper, but it wasn't enough to sway anything; he actually liked them better.

I know one thing for sure. Since I've started reading this forum, I realized how lame I had been in the past about taking care of my pack. Whatever I decide to do this time I'm sure I'll be way better off just by maintaining them properly.
The amount of energy that You can remove from a battery is not constant, it depends on the discharge rate.

Those batteries have different "Peukert Numbers", so their Total AH vary depending on how fast you are discharging the batteries.

You can google Peukert Law for more information.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The amount of energy that You can remove from a battery is not constant, it depends on the discharge rate.

Those batteries have different "Peukert Numbers", so their Total AH vary depending on how fast you are discharging the batteries.

You can google Peukert Law for more information.
In addition to what Sergio posted, the amount of energy stored in a Lead-Acid battery is dependent on the concentration of the acid in the electrolyte and the amount of Lead in the plates.

Deka (East Penn) uses less acid (SG of 1.266 at 100% SoC and 2.11VPC) and more lead (Battery weight 68lb) while Trojan uses more acid (1.277 SG and 2.122VPC) and less lead (battery weight 63lb).

Basically, due to the more aggressive chemical reaction of the higher SG electrolyte, the Trojan battery can be discharged at a faster rate (more amps produced) than the Deka, but the max discharge rate of either is greater than the controllers typically found in golf carts (I.E. Less than 750A throughput) or the motors typically used in golf carts can draw when spinning at more than about 100RPM. So golf cart performance will probably be so close to being the same with either that you'd have to put the cart on a dynamometer to tell the difference, if there is any.

The higher acid concentration and lower lead content of the Trojan batteries tells me the Deka batteries will have a longer lifespan, but I could be wrong.

In a nutshell, it is a coin toss unless one has a better warranty.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

****, when I grow up I hope to be as smart as you guys! I have to look a bit harder but haven't come across warranty information for the Deka.

Thanks again, now I've got a much better understanding of how to look at the specs.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #18
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have had both Deka and Trojan, currently I have Trojan Ranger 160 they are pricey, but the range is the same for 6 8 volt. As my 8 deka 6volt. Here in northeast fla. the heat is real hard on batteries 3.5 years out of the deka. I just today tested my neighbors 3 year old Rangers. They are shot. With perfect battery maint. Distilled water, and always on the charger. Between the heat and lots of driving, average 50 to 60 miles a week and 6 charges. We just don't get that 5 year life and live with it. I have northern friends that get the 5 years, but don't drive all year around. I would recommend the Trojans just preference for the more lead, and 204 amp.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #19
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
I have had both Deka and Trojan, currently I have Trojan Ranger 160 they are pricey, but the range is the same for 6 8 volt. As my 8 deka 6volt. Here in northeast fla. the heat is real hard on batteries 3.5 years out of the deka. I just today tested my neighbors 3 year old Rangers. They are shot. With perfect battery maint. Distilled water, and always on the charger. Between the heat and lots of driving, average 50 to 60 miles a week and 6 charges. We just don't get that 5 year life and live with it. I have northern friends that get the 5 years, but don't drive all year around. I would recommend the Trojans just preference for the more lead, and 204 amp.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Trojan Ranger 160 are more pricey than deka and you say they have similar range, lasted about same amount of years... then you say Trojan has more lead so you recommend them? JohnnieB just said deka has more lead and Trojan uses more acid. I don't understand your recommendation as all your statements point towards deka being as good for less money?
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

What he's trying to say is his pack of 6 batteries at 8 volts each (48V) is equal in run time (capacity) as a pack of 8 batteries at 6 volts each (also 48V). The higher ampacity of the Trojan Ranger is the reason. More lead = higher capacity = higher cost. Specific gravity of electrolyte can always be adjusted.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO