lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Help! Precedent headlights not working after auxiliary battery install.

Hey guys. I opted to return the madjax 48 to 12 volt converter and add a deep cycle battery to power my lights, wetsounds sons bar and subwoofer. Hooked the soundbar up to the battery and instantly had tunes (FYI, don't waste your money on the wetsounds. $480 you would think it would sound alot better, but that's another topic for another time). My headlights were connected to the positive of battery 1 and negative of battery 2 running at 16 volts. I ran a positive and negative lead to the auxiliary battery and connected these leads to the positive and negative leads that I removed from the cart batteries. Installed the fuse turned the lights on and nothing. Double checked the fuse to make sure it was still good. All good there. Ran a jumper from the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery to the negative lead of my volt meter and checked the voltage coming into the fuse holder, leaving the fuse holder and thru the fuse. 12.6 volts across the board. Is there another ground in this light harness somewhere that I'm missing?
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Ozzysgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help! Precedent headlights not working after auxiliary battery install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
Hey guys. I opted to return the madjax 48 to 12 volt converter and add a deep cycle battery to power my lights, wetsounds sons bar and subwoofer. Hooked the soundbar up to the battery and instantly had tunes (FYI, don't waste your money on the wetsounds. $480 you would think it would sound alot better, but that's another topic for another time). My headlights were connected to the positive of battery 1 and negative of battery 2 running at 16 volts. I ran a positive and negative lead to the auxiliary battery and connected these leads to the positive and negative leads that I removed from the cart batteries. Installed the fuse turned the lights on and nothing. Double checked the fuse to make sure it was still good. All good there. Ran a jumper from the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery to the negative lead of my volt meter and checked the voltage coming into the fuse holder, leaving the fuse holder and thru the fuse. 12.6 volts across the board. Is there another ground in this light harness somewhere that I'm missing?
Get rid of battery. If you have a bucket harness just hook up to 2 batteries in 8V battery system.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
Ozzysgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help! Precedent headlights not working after auxiliary battery install.

That negative wire You disconnected from battery #2 should have been going straight into the bucket harness, but just in case it was a separate wire:
Run a 10ga wire between your auxiliary battery negative post and pack negative battery post.
Ozzysgolfcarts, tapping some batteries OFF a series for a frequent load is a really bad idea as it damages the batteries due to imbalance every time your charge the pack.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

leave your aux battery. I did this last year and will never run accessories off of a battery pack again.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That negative wire You disconnected from battery #2 should have been going straight into the bucket harness, but just in case it was a separate wire:
Run a 10ga wire between your auxiliary battery negative post and pack negative battery post.
Ozzysgolfcarts, tapping some batteries OFF a series for a frequent load is a really bad idea as it damages the batteries due to imbalance every time your charge the pack.

Sergio, I keep hearing the term bucket harness but I don't know what that is. Can you explain? Also ibwant to make sure I fully understand what you are telling me before I do it.
You want me to run a 10 gauge wire from the negative terminal of my auxiliary battery to the negative terminal of the pack, which would be the negative terminal of the rear battery on the driver side, correct? Are you certain this isn't going to fry anything?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I prefer to have a single negative reference for the entire cart, but it is not a requirement as long as you do keep all of the circuits separate.

The harness that contains the tail lights and the accessories power wires that terminates on the 12-pin Molex connector that comes up on the right side of the dashboard is called the "bucket harness".

The wires you disconnected should have gone into that harness to the dash.

Connecting 12v to those wires should have made the lights work if everything else was still connected.

The pack positive battery post also has a red wire from the charger receptacle, the positive wire for the accessories normally has an inline fuse.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
I prefer to have a single negative reference for the entire cart, but it is not a requirement as long as you do keep all of the circuits separate.

The harness that contains the tail lights and the accessories power wires that terminates on the 12-pin Molex connector that comes up on the right side of the dashboard is called the "bucket harness".

Connecting 12v to those wires should have made the lights work if everything else was still connected.

The pack positive battery post also has a red wire from the charger receptacle, the positive wire for the accessories normally has an inline fuse.

I'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens. Hopefully I don't know anything up. There's no way that running that lead from the auxiliary negative to the pack negative can inject 12 volts into the system will it?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Post a picture of your battery compartment showing the wires you connected to the 12v battery.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:

I used a jumper wire with alligator clips to connect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery to the pack negative and still no lights.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
beachcarter
Gone Wild

The original configuration was as follows: There is a short blue wire with a spade connector coming off of the pack positive cable. The positive lead for the headlights was connected to this blue wire with the spade. The negative was connected to the negative terminal of battery number 2. From my other post you told me this was wrong. This was causing my cart to act funny. Battery light coming and going intermittently as well as the cart running without the key. You instructed me to disconnect the negative lead. I did, just left the lights disconnected and everything worked fine. I installed the sound bar and connected it to the new auxiliary battery. It works fine. Next I connected the positive and negative wires of the light harness to a pair of 12 gauge wires and ran them to the aux battery under the rear seat. This pic shows the pos and neg leads of the light harness going down the back of the battery pack under the cart to the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170504_201147.jpg (244.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car