lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Multiple Choice Test

Good morning to all, I have a multiple choice test for all of the talent on this Forum.

This is an old subject that has been discussed more times than I can remember, and I think I have read most of the threads on it. But somehow when it is your question you want to ask it again because you think you have a new solution.

I am going to leave my Precedent at the beach for the summer, just like hundreds of other people do, Beach, Campground, etc. And I want to take the best care I can of my brand new batteries. The car sits in a carport and gets a cheap generic golf car cover put over it.

The manual states not to charge a car with a cover on it due to trapping the Hydrogen gas, but this cover is vented. Problem? If so I can leave the cover off, at least the cart is out of the rain, and sun.

From all the reading I have done on this forum, I think I have three choices, but can't decide which one I like best:

1. Buy a 48 volt battery maintainer to plug in when I leave the cart.

2. Leave the club car charger plugged in and just wait for it to cycle itself back on if I am gone for two weeks.

3. Use a phone operated outlet controller with the CC Charger to turn it on and off once a week. The problem I see with this option is like plugging in the DC cord first and then the AC Cord. Power Surge?

4. A better solution?

Thank you,
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Multiple Choice Test

On #3 I am positive that the Powerdrive charger will not operate this way as even with a power loss, the D.C. Cord needs to be unplugged and re-inserted.
I attempted this with a timer on the outlet and while I at first thought it was working, in reality it did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
On #3 I am positive that the Powerdrive charger will not operate this way as even with a power loss, the D.C. Cord needs to be unplugged and re-inserted.
I attempted this with a timer on the outlet and while I at first thought it was working, in reality it did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought maybe I was crazy, but that has been my experience also.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not sure if that "phone controlled outlet" was a reference to my project:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-control.html
Once You add a 120v relay as indicated on that project, you can use any kind of small timer (less than 1 amp) to turn the charger ON/OFF.

I happened to use a WiFi Controlled plug on mine, but it is not a requirement.

I would turn the Tow/Run switch to Tow and leave the seat lifted just a little so any gasses can dissipate easily and not concentrate right under the seat.

I always used a surge protector on my charger, actually one of those "smart" surge protectors used for PC that have a "master" outlet and several "Controlled" outlets.

I Plug the charger on the "master" outlet and a small fan pointed to the charger on a "Controlled" outlet.

That way anytime the charger is running and using power, it activates the "controlled" outlet and keeps the charger nice and cool.

You can even plug a regular "work light" on an extension cord to another "controlled" outlet and have a good visual when the charger is running (in case you are trying to monitor the charge cycle).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Kashmir, hipower,
I hadn't thought about that issue, I will have top go read some more about it.
Aflyer
Old 06-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sergio,
I had read your thread, but wasn't thinking about your solution exactly.

I have some outlet controls from my Nexia home HVAC system, TRANE, I was thinking about trying.

I will have to go re-read your thread.

Thank you,
Aflyer
Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get a golf cart charger with float mode?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scotty,
I can't afford it I spent all my money on upgrades for my new project car.

Aflyer
Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sergio,
I just re-read your thread, that does sound like a pretty good solution. The first time I read it, I was thinking king it was over my head, it still may be, but I can give it a try.

I will bring the laptop down to the carport today and see how the wi-fi reception is down there.

Thank you,
Aflyer
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The WiFi availability is only if You want to turn the charger ON/OFF remotely (on demand).

If You go to the beach Friday after work, You can just set a regular weekly timer to come on for 1 minute Friday afternoon so the pack will be freshly charged when you get there.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car