lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: voltage Reducer Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRoss View Post
Thanks for correcting me.. As I try to learn more every day is there a reason why?
If a cart has an OBC you will note that the cable from the pack negative goes through a hole in the OBC to the controller. This means that all current used by the cart is sensed by the OBC which then knows how much the charger needs to run to put that energy back in the battery pack (the OBC controls the charger).

If you connect anything (such as the reducer) straight to the negative of the battery pack the OBC never knows about the energy that it is taking out of the batteries so when it is controlling the charger it does not put that energy back. Therefore the batteries are undercharged but the OBC thinks that they have a full charge.

Because the accessories running from the reducer do not pull a great deal of power (unless you are running an amplifier or something like that) many people ignore it and connect straight to the batteries anyway. This is not really a good practice because the undercharging is cumulative and will eventually reduce the life of the pack. Given that the batteries in the pack are expensive, I believe that it is best to do whatever you can to ensure the batteries last as long as they can. This includes good maintenance and connecting the reducer to B- rather than just to the pack negative.

By-the-way, the Precedent (& maybe the DS, I don't know) has a black cable with a yellow bullet connector lying behind the batteries. This is connected to the B- terminal of the controller and is there specifically so that you can connect extras like the reducer.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #12
GolfinDoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
If a cart has an OBC you will note that the cable from the pack negative goes through a hole in the OBC to the controller. This means that all current used by the cart is sensed by the OBC which then knows how much the charger needs to run to put that energy back in the battery pack (the OBC controls the charger).

If you connect anything (such as the reducer) straight to the negative of the battery pack the OBC never knows about the energy that it is taking out of the batteries so when it is controlling the charger it does not put that energy back. Therefore the batteries are undercharged but the OBC thinks that they have a full charge.

Because the accessories running from the reducer do not pull a great deal of power (unless you are running an amplifier or something like that) many people ignore it and connect straight to the batteries anyway. This is not really a good practice because the undercharging is cumulative and will eventually reduce the life of the pack. Given that the batteries in the pack are expensive, I believe that it is best to do whatever you can to ensure the batteries last as long as they can. This includes good maintenance and connecting the reducer to B- rather than just to the pack negative.

By-the-way, the Precedent (& maybe the DS, I don't know) has a black cable with a yellow bullet connector lying behind the batteries. This is connected to the B- terminal of the controller and is there specifically so that you can connect extras like the reducer.
If I no longer need the OBC to control the charging (as my OBC has crapped out and I now use a MODX max charger), would there still be a reason to connect the 48 volt side of the reducer to something other than pack positive and negative?
I ask because I have a 2004 DS that does not seem to have the black wire with yellow bullet connector that you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
GolfinDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfinDoc View Post
If I no longer need the OBC to control the charging (as my OBC has crapped out and I now use a MODX max charger), would there still be a reason to connect the 48 volt side of the reducer to something other than pack positive and negative?
I ask because I have a 2004 DS that does not seem to have the black wire with yellow bullet connector that you mentioned.

No. You can connect directly to pack + and -.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

The ModzMax is a smart charger that doesn't need the obc...You can connect the reducer to pack pos and pack neg...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #15
GolfinDoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Excellent! Thanks for the quick replies.

GolfinDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

My comments applied only to carts with a working OBC.

If you have a smart charger (either a later cart with and ERIC or other smart charger, or you have bypassed the OBC and now use a smart charger) then those comments do not apply. As the others have said, in that case you can just connect to the pack.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #17
DanRoss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post

Awesome explanation.. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to educate me / us..
DanRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #18
judgesmails
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the same issue as Kolassus with my 2015 rxv (navitas controller and allied 90ah pack) I'm waiting to hear back from navitas but what ever happened (I'm thinking the stock solenoid should have been upgraded but was told not needed) gave me the same thing. No click from solenoid and none of my accessories work. I also seem to have lost my voltage reducer but unclear yet if it's related. I'll reply back but were you able to get back up and running and if so, what did you have to do.
judgesmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car