lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV NEW 36v Solenoid getting hot before cart moves

Okay. Thank you sir. So next test should be what voltage is on the solenoid small terminals.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Okay. Thank you sir. So next test should be what voltage is on the solenoid small terminals.
I will check that voltage tomorrow.

given the heat, it seems like there either has to be too much voltage on, or not enough resistance in, the coil.

Given that the stock 36v coil ran for 5 years (I assume never replaced), I am leaning toward the new Solenoid being bad. Either that or the controller changed solenoid voltage on its own.

Of course it is still possible I have wired wrong. One change I did make was that I had to replace the copper bar that connected the controller to the solenoid with a 4 ga wire to make the Sw181 fit.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post

Of course it is still possible I have wired wrong. One change I did make was that I had to replace the copper bar that connected the controller to the solenoid with a 4 ga wire to make the Sw181 fit.
That shouldn't be a problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #14
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Update.

Checked the voltage on the small wires, it is 48 volts. This is baffling to me, as the stock solenoid that failed was 36 volts. However, it was NOT THE COIL on the stock solenoid that failed, that was still working, it was the contacts.

As hot as the new HD Solenoid is getting, I am pretty sure that stock 36v solenoid would not have lasted 5 years with 48v on it.

So, now the question becomes, how do I reset the controller back to stock 36v for the solenoid circuit?

I have a 1314 programmer, but I could not find the parameter to change.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Go to Drivers
Main Pull In 75%

Main Holding 60%

Main Battery Voltage Compensated ON

This is for the 36v Solenoid.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or put a 48 volt solenoid on it and call it a day
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Go to Drivers
Main Pull In 75%

Main Holding 60%

Main Battery Voltage Compensated ON

This is for the 36v Solenoid.
Ok, back to the drawing board, I just checked my saved parameter file and settings were exactly has you indicated.

Problem could be that I tested the solenoid circuit without Solenoid connected. Still does not explain the overheating issue.

BTW, the solenoid coil tests out at 43 ohms, if my calculations are correct, it should be a little less than 1 amp and about 30 watts.

Am I missing something here? Given that the main contacts failed in the original solenoid, could the heat be coming from main contacts, even with cart sitting still?

Maybe I am just chasing a non-existent problem, but the solenoid gets so hot that I can't touch for more then one second without burning my finger.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Yea, it should not be that hot... I would just switch to a 48V solenoid. It is possible that the PWM failed due to a glitch in controller memory. Minor glitches can happen each and every time power is interrupted by a sudden solenoid opening prior the the controller safing itself. Errors will cause this. Eventually, something critical gets corrupted.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like You replaced the Solenoid with the wrong Coil Duty type.

The way You guys describe the Solenoid activation it seems like it would require a "Continuous rated Coil".

The 36v "Continuous rated coil" SW181 has a 102Ω coil resistance instead of the 44Ω coil resistance of the intermittent coil type and would run a loot cooler.

Since You said the old one still has a good coil, did You measure the resistance?

Whichever voltage You choose, make sure You get a continuous rated coil version for this type of application.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #20
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Yea, it should not be that hot... I would just switch to a 48V solenoid. It is possible that the PWM failed due to a glitch in controller memory. Minor glitches can happen each and every time power is interrupted by a sudden solenoid opening prior the the controller safing itself. Errors will cause this. Eventually, something critical gets corrupted.
Will 24v keep the 48v solenoid engaged or would I need to adjust the controller settings to 48v?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO