lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: need more torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
Couldn't he gain some of that torque back with going to 48 volts and upgrading all the usual components?
He will always have less torque with 23" tires vs. smaller, regardless of drive type. It's just math.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lower gear swap is a cure for that.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Lower gear swap is a cure for that.
Nothing's a "cure". Bigger will always be less torque-ey than smaller. A gear swap is WAY more effort than changing tires, unless you're totally in love with the look.

Gears, amps, cables, voltage, tires ALL help, but the math is the math.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #14
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
He will always have less torque with 23" tires vs. smaller, regardless of drive type. It's just math.
Of course, but that's not what I was saying. By upgrading to 48 volts and all components ,it will definitely help the loss of torque from larger tires.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

I'm not really sure how much is involved in swapping gears in these carts, but in my 442 (Chevy 12 bolt) I would swap gears out for a different ratio all the time. Depending where the rpm was as you went through the traps helped decide if you needed bigger or smaller gears. Once I built this last motor, since it was making a lot more torque and horsepower, I didn't need as much gear, so I went form 4.30's to 4.11's.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

With practice, I'm sure you could do it in an hour or so. I tore mine apart and it wasn't that bad. I was just replacing bearings and seals.

Most folks understand what we're all saying. Just wanted to make sure OP with 2 posts gets it, before doing and/or buying stuff. We still don't know drive type he (she?) has.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #17
Wc12364
Not Yet Wild

it is a series drive system. I don't mind spending the money I just don't want to throw good money after bad. or spend more then I have to.

a solid state conversion kits from carts unlimited (pkg c54 ) is what I was looking at. will this do it are do I need the motor as well?
Wc12364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You don't need a conversion kit unless you have a resistor cart, as resistor carts used a wiper board rather than pot box or ITS.

Contact ScottyB and tell him you want a controller, FNR, solenoid, and cables 2 or 4 AWG. He'll set you up. The only thing you have to decide is max amps. As to 36v vs 48v, I'd try the upgrades, with what you have. Once the batteries need replacement, go with 48v. If that isn't enough, then get a torque motor.

Options:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-sr-series--.html

"Free batter meter with cable order"
Get his HD FNR or reversing contactor. I like the old style FNR by my leg, rather than on the dash, but that's just me. Also, with eight batteries, I ran out of room.

SR48300 plus solenoid. You can get by with 4 AWG cables, but you should order cables for six 8 volt batteries, as the cables will be long enough for you go from 36 to 48 volts.

Or SR48400 or SR48500. I'd recommend 2 AWG cables.

Again, smaller tires is a slam dunk, but without knowing the condition of your batteries, load - passengers, rear seat - and number of hills and how steep they are, it's hard to tell how far you need to go. If you have to have those tires, a gear change is another option.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO