lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
grayhavenmotel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Carryall / Turf II 2 not Moving after Click

Hello,

So the cart was working after we bought it. I think we then ran the cart too much and drained the batteries to the point it would not charge and not move forward and reverse.

At this point I figured I would rewire the batteries as suggested on this forum a couple weeks ago. I first disconnected them made sure water levels good and charged them each individually. I cleaned them and the connections, turned them all to face same direction, wired them as suggested and hit with battery connection anti-corrosion pink spray stuff. I then tested with meter which gave me around 56 volts total.

At this point the cart still does not move. I only hear a "click" sound and then nothing.

After doing all of this I THEN realized I never put it it "tow" mode BEFORE I did battery work. I am now afraid I fried controller? Or did some other damage? Is 56 volts to much?

I am just looking for advice on troubleshooting.

Thanks!
mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4940.jpg (215.4 KB, 0 views)
grayhavenmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall / Turf II 2 not Moving after Click

If you are hearing the click at the solenoid, then the controller is giving you the Neg so check the solenoid with a DVM and see if it is working and passing current. After you hear the click, Red probe on Yellow cable at the solenoid large post and Black probe on Main Pack Negative. You should get pack voltage.

If it is, then check the output of the controller. With key switch On, Run/Tow switch in the Run position, Fwd/Rev rocker switch in the Fwd position (and also have the back jacked up off the ground). Get your DVM and place the black (–) probe at the motor A2 (white wire) and connect the red (+) probe at the motor A1 (green wire) and slowly depress the Go Pedal. When the MCOR closes (clicks), the voltage reading should increase from ~5vdc gradually going up to to approximately ~45-48vdc (could be higher) with the accelerator pedal fully pressed. If everything works as described, the wheels should be turning.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
grayhavenmotel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great thanks for the instructions! I will give this a shot this weekend!

Cheers
Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
grayhavenmotel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

so it got cold (winter) so I waited until it warmed up to tackle problems again.

bought new batteries (6v) and installed.... same issue.
bought new solenoid and installed ... same issue.

so it is either the motor or controller that is bad? how to I tell for certain these are the problems? Could the battery wiring be bad? wrong?

Basically if I press the gas pedal I hear a click then nothing. When we first installed the batteries we gave the cart a little push and it moved but sort of stuttered. When we gave it another push same thing. We then got it going to where it was actually moving "OK" across parking lot but then noticed kind of a burning smell....

If the motor is bad can it be repaired? Does it need to be lubricated maybe?

Thanks for all the help!

mark
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did you try this? What were the results?

Quote:
With key switch On, Run/Tow switch in the Run position, Fwd/Rev rocker switch in the Fwd position (and also have the back jacked up off the ground). Get your DVM and place the black (–) probe at the motor A2 (white wire) and connect the red (+) probe at the motor A1 (green wire) and slowly depress the Go Pedal. When the MCOR closes (clicks), the voltage reading should increase from ~5vdc gradually going up to to approximately ~45-48vdc (could be higher) with the accelerator pedal fully pressed. If everything works as described, the wheels should be turning.
You could also try smacking the motor with a mallet while you're pressing the go pedal. If the brushes are stuck this can sometimes free them up and it'll start spinning.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The brushes in the motor might be worn out or stuck in the brush holders.

Usually if spinning the motor (pushing the cart) gets it to work, that's an indication of a brush problem. Continuing to drive the cart like that can burn both the brushes and the motor armature. Brushes are replaceable and generally inexpensive. An armature costs quite a bit more and is usually not worth replacing if it's seriously damaged.

Remove the motor and check some Youtube videos for disassembly tips. It's not difficult to do, but it can be very messy with old dust material from the brushes.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've seen tons of solenoids click and still be bad... I'd check that as well.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Also, running the cart like that at low voltage/weak batteries was hard on the motor as well. Sounds like you ran it until it would not run/charge anymore.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
grayhavenmotel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. Finally go to take a look at the motor.

Yes hitting motor with hammer got it to move. So we took motor cover off...

>> The brushes in the motor might be worn out or stuck in the brush holders.

...and yes this was the issue. Ultimately it looks like the screws holding the brushes in place became very loose and were just flopping around. Thats why hitting with hammer probably jiggle them enough to start motor. Also a couple of the brushes are quite corroded. I have attached a picture.

Where do I buy these brushes? Inexpensive?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5871.jpg (97.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Call David at revolution and he can guide you or get you what you need. He may have some follow up questions or recommendations on anything else to check while you're in there.

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car