lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Bazooka 6.5 Install

I installed my amplified 6.5 bazooka tube today behind my front seat. It fits perfectly between the front and rear seats on my 2016 TXT48. Older carts may have notched supports that will allow an 8" subwoofer tube. The 6.5 however was plenty of sound and really opened up my sound system. I had a problem with a dead remote on/off wire in my Kenwood head unit (a common problem apparently) and not wanting to mess with it I decided to wire a push button on/off switch from Ace Hardware. As luck would have it the switch fit perfectly in a preexisting hole I had on my seat belt bracket. I will have to turn the speaker on and off manually until l upgrade the head unit but it works fine for now.

sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bazooka 6.5 Install

very cool. I’m glad to hear you’re getting good sound from it.

I’ve been thinking about a sub for mine but getting stalled out on a couple of things. The biggest being that I screwed up and didn’t run a wire for it. I fished everything through the roof support on the driver’s side. I’ve got a lot of wire in there already and not sure I can even get another one in there. I guess I can go through the passenger side but it was stupid not to have done it all at the same time. My other issue was how big of a sub I wanted and where to put it. I’ve got 7 modules of lithium, so have some room under the seat, but didn’t want to take up all the space in case I ever decide I need to double the pack. I don’t plan on a backseat, but maybe I can still find a clean way to mount one back there somewhere.

Thanks again for posting the update on yours working out well.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Yeah mine was easier since my stereo is in the dash. I just ran the RCA’s under the cart. My non functional remote wire on my head unit saved me running that wire. The 6.5 might fit just as well without a rear seat setup. You may have the room for an 8.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

How does the bass sound/feel in the front seats while driving? I always thought the majority of the bass would serve my neighbors more than me. Haven't really pursued anything yet, but it's about time I did. I've seen some good home-made enclosures in the bag well. I figure either will be fine at a lake bonfire.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
sigfla45
Gone Wild

It’s good. The 6.5 doesn’t blow you out of the cart but it has enough bass to fill out the sound and a little extra. I would equate it to a good factory car radio setup. Not as deep as an 8 or 10 would be but just right for a golf cart. I have been playing with the built in gain and the head units settings and I have it pumping out good sound along with my 2 front 6.5’s. Those 2 speakers are Kenwood’s matched to the head unit and I feel they are not the greatest.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
EzgoTXT2002
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Clean install sigfla45.
Looks like it is supposed to be there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
EzgoTXT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzgoTXT2002 View Post
Clean install sigfla45.
Looks like it is supposed to be there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Gotta give credit to those on the board who did it first. My newer cart didn’t have notched seat supports so the 6.5 was all I had room for. An 8 would sound a bit better/deeper but I am super happy with the 6.5. Once you get it all setup it sounds fantastic. The best part is it doesn’t eat up any room and is pretty stealth in there.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Well heres a little update b/c I am bored and I took the time to make some upgrades during our time at home. I was never really happy with my cheap Kenwood 6.5 speakers. They served a purpose and were ok but I wanted a bit more. I bought a set of Rockford Fosgate Marine 6.5's on sale at Amazon and went to work installing them today.

The cutouts for my Kenwoods had to be enlarged and I made quick work of that with a dremel and sanding wheel. The Carbon fiber isn't fun to play with but after a bit of trial and error I found the standard brown sanding wheel attachment worked best and didn't screw things up. I didn't try to install the provided speed clips with my new speakers and I wish I had. The carbon fiber will hold a screw but it just doesn't seem solid to me. I was able to get one on but gave up quick in lieu of getting them in b/c the kids wanted a ride. I may go back later tonight and try to get a few more on. If you are doing it with a new dash install mount them up before you install the dash then you have easy access.

I am wishing I had the room for the 8 inch bazooka behind my seat. The 6.5 is still ok but it will never have the punch of an 8. I have toyed with the idea of buying a better quality 6.5 and using it in the enclosure but some internet sources say don't and in reality its still gonna be a 6.5. Its not the end of the universe but if you can fit it get the 8.

Overall the sound is much improved. I can crank these up to full and they don't distort like the old Kenwood did. I am giving my bazooka 6.5 a bit less gain b/c the fronts can now handle a bit more bass. Overall the system is louder and more balanced if that makes sense.

The next move for me will be to toss the kenwood receiver and replace it with a Sony that has more power. The Sony line that has a small amp should be perfect for me without having to add a separate amp. After that I may go ahead and install 2 more Rockford Fosgate 6.5's or larger under the seat. I was hesitant to do so before b/c I didn't think I had the monuting depth to clear the batteries.

I had originally wanted a nice sound bar mounted on the roof supports but I realized the kids wouldn't tolerate it right by their heads. A nice 6x9 or something similar should sound good and fill out the sound even more.

In all I am very happy with the upgrade. The Kenwoods I had were just not cutting it at all.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
Rolltide72
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks Good
Rolltide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO