lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Faulty MCOR's 3 and 4

I have had occasion to replace a few MCOR's lately as a result of faulty micro switches and have come to the conclusion that the problem is one of faulty design in as much as the switches are not used as the makers designed them to be. Switches are designed to be NO or NC and that is in the relaxed position (spring expanded). The MCOR switches are NC but with the foot pedal up are held in the OPEN position (spring compressed) and only go NC and the spring expands when the pedal is depressed. Over the life of the switch the majority of the time the spring is in the compressed position and only relaxed when the car is moving. The compressed spring is probably loosing its ability to expand fully over time resulting is poor connection and ultimate failure. The MICOR 3 switches do appear to be inferior to the MICOR 4 which no doubt resulted in their frequent failure. If EZGO have had years of success with their TPS throttle how come Clubcar could not get it right.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Faulty MCOR's 3 and 4

Not sure, my EZGO has long since went and my CC is still going strong with its factory MCOR from '07....

And if you buy those Amazon/Chinese MCOR's, they are junk out the box....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

How else would You do the switch ?

It is the same way on all throttles with a mechanical switch, on an EzSlow when the pedal is up the micro-switch is compressed.

The MCOR uses a double-butterfly switch that prevents excessive force on the plunger to be transferred to the springs, and since 2 separate sets of internal contacts need to close in series, it also provides a redundant safety.

Have you taken any of the failed MCORs apart to analyze the failure?

Found the picture I had posted previously for the MCOR switch:

Last edited by Sergio; 02-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Added Picture
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are right about one thing. The ITS has been golden. There are 20 and 30yr old inductive signal devices working very well in millions of Ezgo carts.
The Ezgo micro switch can be replaced separately from the signal device.This is a real plus.
Maybe CC will rethink the MCOR throttle device just like the OBC but, don't hold your breath waiting...for now it is sell sell sell more made in Mexico MCORS
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You are right about one thing. The ITS has been golden. There are 20 and 30yr old inductive signal devices working very well in millions of Ezgo carts.
The Ezgo micro switch can be replaced separately from the signal device.This is a real plus.
Maybe CC will rethink the MCOR throttle device just like the OBC but, don't hold your breath waiting...for now it is sell sell sell more made in Mexico MCORS
I agree! A replacement EZGO micro switch is under $10 compared to the $100 plus MCOR. In my little shop, I replace 10 MCOR'S to 1 ITS throttle.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I agree! A replacement EZGO micro switch is under $10 compared to the $100 plus MCOR. In my little shop, I replace 10 MCOR'S to 1 ITS throttle.

Careful. That's sounding like Ezgo bias in the CC forum
The simple fact is there are no contact parts to go bad in the signal device itself.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Careful. That's sounding like Ezgo bias in the CC forum
The simple fact is there are no contact parts to go bad in the signal device itself.
[emoji23][emoji23] I like a lot of things about both carts, but I just think it's a profitable design flaw. Not really sure if it intentional or not.[emoji38]

mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Upgrade the entire electrical system starting with the OBC and everything between and end with the Controller and you have yourself a pretty good cart. I should add that E-Z-Go and Yamaha are probably no better.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I have owned them all. My preference by far is a CC DS!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
How else would You do the switch ?

It is the same way on all throttles with a mechanical switch, on an EzSlow when the pedal is up the micro-switch is compressed.

The MCOR uses a double-butterfly switch that prevents excessive force on the plunger to be transferred to the springs, and since 2 separate sets of internal contacts need to close in series, it also provides a redundant safety.

Have you taken any of the failed MCORs apart to analyze the failure?

Found the picture I had posted previously for the MCOR switch:

I have not opened the switches but I have opened the MCOR's and visually they look good but show open circuit when operated.Perhaps this is one situation where "bigger is better". The switch is truly "micro" compared to the EZGO and older DS carts. But it is what it is.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car