lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Oilers86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1991 Club Car DS Controller Upgrade

First time posting so if I haven’t given enough details please let me know. I have a 1991 Club Car DS, 36V, series wound with stock motor, controllers, no lift, etc. When I first bought the cart it topped out at 13-14 mph on a flat surface and 8-9mph uphill and very slow acceleration in both cases. I replaced the old batteries with 6 Trojan T-105 and now it will hit 15-16 mph on flat surface and 9-10 mph on a hill with a minimal increase in torque.

I’ve done some research and these 36V carts are definitely not known for their speed. I’m fine with 15-16 mph as I only use it for getting around the course but I’d like to increase the acceleration and speed when going uphill as I have a 1/2 mile drive back home from the course. I was thinking of switching out my battery cables to 4 Ga cable as the old ones are worn out and then upgrading to a 400 or 500amp controller to increase the torque? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Oilers86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Club Car DS Controller Upgrade

That cart did not come with a controller. What controller do you have?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Oilers86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It’s a 275 amp Curtis, I had a local shop run the serial number and that year did appear to offer a DS with a controller. It seems 1991 was right on the edge though as that’s the response I’ve gotten from most places that have assumed it was the old style coil setup.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

They went to controller for a couple of years and then went back. I do not remember exactly how long but David Hicks (TahoeDawgZ71) noted that some time ago.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

OK. That's the first 91 I've heard of with it.

Look at our site sponsors "Revolution" and "Carts Unlimited." They have what you need to get you to the course, on the course and back home the way you want.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Appears your suggestions are sound. The cables will help with delivery and an Alltrax SR controller will give you the amperage to bump up the torque. Appears you are not doing any pulling or speeding so your motor should continue to give you good service. If/when it does quit, you could upgrade the motor at that time.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
They went to controller for a couple of years and then went back. I do not remember exactly how long but David Hicks (TahoeDawgZ71) noted that some time ago.
I have had (I think) two 1992's but never a 91. He got an early one.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

And: to BGW!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Oilers86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just finished installing a 500amp controller on the cart and unfortunately no noticeable increase in torque. The batteries are new with 4 Ga cables and I’m at a bit frustrated considering the $450 dollar controller didn’t do much for me. Does anyone have any ideas why i didn’t see a torque increase? All my previous research indicated a 500amp controller upgrade would result in a roughly 30% torque increase over stock equipment? Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car