lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #1
Lecac
Not Yet Wild

Default difficult to find motor number

I have an 1991 400 series western cart: number stamped is 4000819261.
The motor went on it and I'm trying to find a replacement. Unfortunately I'm not having any luck finding this motor. 5bc 58 jbs 6108. If anyone can point me in the right direction on a replacement it would be much appreciated. Btw, it has a Curtis 1205-201 350 amp controller in it. I've enclosed a pic because everyone I've spoken with tells me there's no such motor.

Thank you for your help.
Chuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gcmotor1a.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
Lecac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2019, 12:51 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: difficult to find motor number

Worst case scenario ($): you can send it to Luna Rebuilders. They can redo ANY golf cart motor (for $, may not be cheap). They can do anything down to the level of what was done when the motor was built. Some motors aren't "cost effective" to rebuild, but that consideration is out the window if a new option just doesn't exist. They may be able to offer upgrade options in the rebuild(not sure if they still mess with that, but worth asking). They do alternators, starters, generators for stuff that doesn't exist anymore. Luna was a mom-n-pop shop that got ate up by nivel. They used to do fuel tanks and radiators too, but not any more. It was a surely crew for sure. Bill is a good, and knowledgeable guy.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
pattyandrick
Getting Wild

Western is built on the ezgo marathon chassis

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
pattyandrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Lecac
Not Yet Wild

Well, it looks like the cost difference between rebuilding this 30 year old motor and getting an upgraded motor is not a huge difference so I'm thinking upgrade. My questions now are am I correct in assuming this is a '91 based on the numbers stamped? Could it be a '92? are all 19 spline motors without PDS/DCS interchangeable? Again, thanks for any and all help. I'm looking at AMD and D&D motors. Any suggestions/reviews or experiences?

Regards,
Chuck.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

What voltage is it? Controller make/model? Battery age?

Going to 48 volts may factor into the decision, if it's less now. Series carts aren't cheap to upgrade, but if you are already at 48 volts, or have a controller capable of that, I'm quite happy with the parts in my sig, even with stock 18" tires.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Lecac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
What voltage is it? Controller make/model? Battery age?

Going to 48 volts may factor into the decision, if it's less now. Series carts aren't cheap to upgrade, but if you are already at 48 volts, or have a controller capable of that, I'm quite happy with the parts in my sig, even with stock 18" tires.
Thank you for a reply. It has a Curtis 1205-201 controller which is a 350 amp controller. it is 36 volts and the controller says 36 to 48 volts but I think at 350 amps it's better suited to a 36v motor. The batteries are less than 2 years old.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecac View Post
Thank you for a reply. It has a Curtis 1205-201 controller which is a 350 amp controller. it is 36 volts and the controller says 36 to 48 volts but I think at 350 amps it's better suited to a 36v motor. The batteries are less than 2 years old.
I'm not familiar with that controller, but kinda know series. If your controller does 48 volts, that should be your long-term goal. 350 amps at 36 volts vs. 48 volts and 350 amps? Trick question.

48. Batteries, cables, connectors/lugs, switches (solenoid/contactor), and controller will do less work as far as amperage on 48 than on 36.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Crap. I forgot the cheapest option. Go to the stickies and download a manual and tear the motor apart.

What was wrong with it anyway? I just assumed it was dead. Could it be brushes?
Old 04-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #9
Lecac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Crap. I forgot the cheapest option. Go to the stickies and download a manual and tear the motor apart.

What was wrong with it anyway? I just assumed it was dead. Could it be brushes?
I took it apart and one of the studs broke inside. There are burnt areas inside and it appears plastic has melted in two separate places and is in between the "fins" or whatever they are called. The brushes looked good actually. At any rate, I don't have much confidence in this old motor. I may keep it to see if I can repair it but my wife and son use it during the summer at a campground and I don't want to leave her and my son stranded anywhere. I'd feel more comfortable with a new motor. That is why I've been looking at 36v AMD and D&D motors. Just get a new one, install it and be done with it. I just want to make sure it will mount up. Did the rear ends change that much between say 1988 and the late 90's?
Chuck.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There was a odd axle in 88 I think, and based on the motor, that was the axle I assumed you had. Please post a pic of the axle (area where motor mounts) before you order anything.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO