lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery charger with temperature compensation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttyFields View Post
It has the option so why not use it.
Not sure? Received an email from Scotty and he said that they do not carry that cable, I also have an email into Lester Chargers themselves, guess we will see what they say about it.
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
OttyFields
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls View Post
Not sure? Received an email from Scotty and he said that they do not carry that cable, I also have an email into Lester Chargers themselves, guess we will see what they say about it.
Guess that is why I can't find it online...
OttyFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So far Lester Electronics hasn't answered my email yet, i may give them a call when i get time.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
OttyFields
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think if it's in their manual they would have it as a part.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After talking with Tammy at Lester Electronics she verified with one of their tech's that they do have the cable and you have to order it directly by calling them. The price is around $25 plus shipping and she said that it does regulate the voltage depending on what the temp sensor is reading. She also said that it connects to one of the neg battery post, that is the same as the magnum inverter charger that we have in the motor home.

https://lesterelectrical.com/

Below is an explination of what the same current does at a higher temperatrue, or lower temperature.

Temperature Effects on Batteries

Battery capacity (how many amp-hours it can hold) is reduced as temperature goes down, and increased as temperature goes up. This is why your car battery dies on a cold winter morning, even though it worked fine the previous afternoon. If your batteries spend part of the year shivering in the cold, the reduced capacity has to be taken into account when sizing the system batteries. The standard rating for batteries is at room temperature - 25 degrees C (about 77 F). At approximately -22 degrees F (-27 C), battery AH capacity drops to 50%. At freezing, capacity is reduced by 20%. Capacity is increased at higher temperatures - at 122 degrees F, battery capacity would be about 12% higher.

Battery charging voltage also changes with temperature. It will vary from about 2.74 volts per cell (16.4 volts) at -40 C to 2.3 volts per cell (13.8 volts) at 50 C. This is why you should have temperature compensation on your charger or charge control if your batteries are outside and/or subject to wide temperature variations. Some charge controls have temperature compensation built in (such as Morningstar) - this works fine if the controller is subject to the same temperatures as the batteries. However, if your batteries are outside, and the controller is inside, it does not work that well. Adding another complication is that large battery banks make up a large thermal mass.

Link to that in case you really want to read about battery care.
https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-...of%20Batteries
Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
OttyFields
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Excellent research Dwalls......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO