lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
BryanA
Not Yet Wild

Default 04 Precedent Rear end noise

I just bought an 04 Precedent and I have noticed that when I get to full speed or I am going downhill, there is a whine coming from the rear. After doing some reading on here, I jacked the cart up and took that wheel off on the passenger side. With the cart in the air, I had my son hit the gas and I narrowed it down to the passenger side rear drum area. So then I took the drum off and the noise went away. I believe I am looking at a braking issue (which would make sense if the cart has a safety to slow the cart down (I'm new to golf carts).

So my question is, is it likely that the brakes are out of adjustment or do you think I need to replace the brakes? The pads are not new by any means.
BryanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 04 Precedent Rear end noise

Why its off, replace both sides and adjust them correctly. The "brake" you feel when you let off the pedal or down a hill is the regen brake and comes from the motor.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
BryanA
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Why its off, replace both sides and adjust them correctly. The "brake" you feel when you let off the pedal or down a hill is the regen brake and comes from the motor.
That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I wasn't spending the money unnecessarily. Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
BryanA
Not Yet Wild

So I got my brakes in, installed, and adjusted correctly. I still get the whine whenever the car gets to top speed and going downhill, so I'm sure its the Regen brake. Is there a solution for this? Disabling? I assume that will get rid of the whine when going downhill? Does this really affect charging that much?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You would need a controller to make any changes, but when the regen brake engages, it does not sound like a whine. I think you may be hearing motor brushes or the motor bearing is the most likely suspect.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

The bearings on the input shaft can get a little rough. They are the highest point in the rear end and are the first to show signs of wear. The sound might have went away when you took off the brakes off because the rear axle was not under any load. If you know how to turn wrenches it's not a hard job. Two 6204 bearings and a little gear oil. Just did one two days ago.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
BryanA
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotthis View Post
The bearings on the input shaft can get a little rough. They are the highest point in the rear end and are the first to show signs of wear. The sound might have went away when you took off the brakes off because the rear axle was not under any load. If you know how to turn wrenches it's not a hard job. Two 6204 bearings and a little gear oil. Just did one two days ago.
The noise didn't go away. It only seems to happen when the Regen comes on, so I am going to purchase a high speed magnet and just get rid of Regen
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car