lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default AGM Batteries

Has anyone used AGM batteries in their golf cart? If so what brand are you using? Looks like my OBC failed in my cart and I was leaning towards purchasing a Lester Summit Series II charger and by-pass the OBC. Also by batteries are six years old and will need to be replaced soon. So I was told by a friend to check into AGM batteries. Any thoughts, pro and cons would be helpful.

Thank you!
Jazz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: AGM Batteries

AGM batteries are nice but much more expensive (2 to 3 times more) compared to a Lead Acid battery.

You need a deep cycle "motive" battery like the Trojan Reliant T875-AGM.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/motiveagm/
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

It would be lovely if AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries would work in golf carts - but they won't). They are excellent at being relatively light weight; holding charge for long periods of time, and momentary/substantial amperage demands.

Unfortunately golf carts demand high/constant amperage most of the time, which is not a feature of AGM. With the exception of new/modern Lithium packs, only the old technology lead acid (heavy) flooded batteries provide that.

Edit - hmmmm - wasn't even aware of T875-AGM - that'll kick a hole in your wallet!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
AGM batteries are nice but much more expensive (2 to 3 times more) compared to a Lead Acid battery.

You need a deep cycle "motive" battery like the Trojan Reliant T875-AGM.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/motiveagm/
Do they last longer? What is the life expectancy? I have 4 - 12 volt US Batteries now and going on six years and I don't think they will get me through the summer. So I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You don't have to add water there is a potential to last longer due to lack of maintenance.

I don't think the longevity is any where near the difference in price over a regular flooded lead acid battery.

A good brand lead acid battery is your best cost effective option for a "drop-in" replacement.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Sergio for the reply! Much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

They're not going to last longer. Either in service life or in drive time.
They also have to be charged at a slower rate which means potentially a longer charge time.
You also have to be very careful about matching the battery capacity to your carts electrical demands. During either Charging or Discharging, moving too many amps through an AGM battery causes hot spots between the plates and the linings, which boil away the liquid in the liner and can burn the liner. This causes and area where current can no longer pass between the plates, which leads to lower output capability and lower capacity overall. In a worst case it shorts the plates together which can lead to fire or to a dead cell, which renders it useless.

There is very little benefit to AGM in a golf cart in my opinion, and more than enough downside to say it's just not a good idea.

Most Deep Cycle AGM batteries are designed to provide a low current back-up power supply for a long time period (hours or days). The opposite of what is typical usage for a golf cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fairtax4me, I don't think your comments apply to the Trojan batteries I linked, they are definitely designed for motive application and can more than handle the current requirements.

The price is just too much to justify the maintenance savings of not having to worry about watering the batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car