lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Load testing battery pack

I have a small incline I would like to load test individual batteries in my cart. The multi-meter I use has two straight pins for probes. Can anyone recommend a reliable and more importantly safe way to attach my multi-meter to each battery to do each of the 7 batteries in my pack?
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Load testing battery pack

https://www.amazon.com/Push-Alligato.../dp/B002AMO5EI

Google search. You may be able to find something at a local automotive store or hardware store.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Personally for a battery I like something bigger. I think HF has something cheap.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't know if those have them, but all of mine have a larger "throat", which will fit over the stud, but larger's good too.

Here are three different ones I have. I had to remove the rubber insulator from the smallest one, but it fits the most secure. The WaveTek one closes up real tight, so is probably the safest if it comes loose. The big 'un is probably too big. I forgot, I have some that came with my trickle charger, and they would probably be best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1648.JPG (485.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I used small gauge jumper leads with alligator clips on each end. Taped the alligator leads where they clipped on volt meter probe leads so they would not move or become disconnected, then you can move other end of leads/ alligator clips to measure pack or individual battery voltage as needed depending on battery post it’conneacted to
Nothing perminent but works for getting voltage values.
Just be sure to tape,insulate any bare connections to prevent a short.

Your measuring voltage,not amperage so wire size not really a concern as long as clips connected to battery or ring terminal connected at battery post are clean.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

This is what I use:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7799.jpg (370.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7775.jpg (418.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7801.jpg (607.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7802.jpg (373.4 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:06 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Lol, most people don't have a clue wtf a banana plug is, or ever had a set of leads that could take "alligator clips" , but around here, a set of clips is just about mandatory for what we ask for doing testing. I'm surprised more folks haven't balked at the idea of getting clips, and just how the "f" that happens.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have dedicated wires for all nine batteries. A rotary switch goes from Off, Pack, Battery one through eight, then Aux battery. Overkill, but I had the parts laying around, so...
Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

My meter has threaded provisions for screw-on "alligator clips" on it's leads, but I'm betting most users don't have that luxury. No problem tho. Cheap clips are available easily at harbor frig. Since no amp load will be involved in the measurements, the crappy ones will do just fine.

I personally wouldn't buy any meter leads without clips included, but im a little picky. I hate to say that, because my "a little picky" meter leads are total trash compared to "real good ones", they don't even have a bit of gold in them, and I consider them as "consumables" that I know won't last too long. A "fresh set" of meter leads to me is cheap, like a new set of socks from walmart, they feel great for the short while they last, but you know they are consumables. "Decent/acceptable" ones cost about $26, and you know you will wear them out when you use them many times a day. I have a full coffee can of "got 'em at a yard sale" crappers leads for emergency/ "I don't even care about this meter" use. All the leads generally fit all the meters, awesome leads work on harbor freight meters. I have meters for the "I don't care if it gets ran over" status. And I have $18 oscilloscope for that "I don't care if it gets ran over" as well.

I will say, once you use any "better" meter leads, even on a junk meter, you won't want to go back. (It will make you want a better meter, with good leads)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have both types. The WaveTeks are screw on. My Fluke and Meterman are push on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO